Matrox mini vs NTSC monitor

Posted by paul kelleher 
Matrox mini vs NTSC monitor
November 15, 2010 07:11PM
Hi all-

I am looking at getting a matrox mini box to allow HDV monitoring.

My current setup is fw out to a sony HDV deck to an NTSC monitor.
(although this setup is really only for Standard def - It can output HD to NTSC, via the downconvert on the fly- but it looks really crappy)

With the Matrox box, do I still need an NTSC crt monitor for checking titles, interlacing etc, or can I be confident with the matrox output?

Thanks

Paul
Re: Matrox mini vs NTSC monitor
November 15, 2010 09:05PM
>My current setup is fw out to a sony HDV deck to an NTSC monitor.

Which will get you a crappy DV output of your HD timeline. Not even a regular DV, but one downconverted via the FCP software, that isn't that good.

>With the Matrox box, do I still need an NTSC crt monitor for checking titles, interlacing etc, or can I be confident with the matrox output?

Yes, you still need the monitor. How else are you going to SEE the footage? The MXO2 is just an output box...it isn't a monitor too. Now, are you talking about the MXO2, that connects to a computer via PCIe or Express34? or the original MXO, that connected via DVI and was output only? If you mean the original MXO, then you can use a 24" monitor, like an Apple display or Dell, to monitor the HD. I wouldn't use it for SD though...not on a computer display.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
November 15, 2010 10:47PM
hey shane-

I'm talking about the matrox mini ( see above) I should have said MX02 mini I guess, sorry. And yes I meant with a monitor. So, for clarity, what you are saying is:
1. For HD via the Matrox MX02 and a monitor, no NTSC monitor is necessary. Even on interlaced HDV, I can check titles on an LCD?
2. Why wouldnt you use the matrox for standard def?

Thanks for weighing in
November 15, 2010 11:08PM
AH...gotcha.

For HD you would need the MXO2 and an HDTV, or HD Broadcast monitor. That is the only way you can see what you have in an HD color space (Rec 709).

If you connect an NTSC monitor, and set the MXO2 to downconvert the footage, then you will see the footage in SD, in an SD color space (Rec 601).

I would use the MXO2 for standard def...just did today as a matter of fact, outputting to a DVD recorder. But I wouldn't use the MXO2 and NTSC monitor to judge of quality of your HD image...because you aren't seeing HD...you are seeing SD.

Plus, I meant I wouldn't use the MXO (the original) and a computer display to watch SD. It looks like crap.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
November 16, 2010 08:40AM
MXO2mini, I believe, can output both HD and SD at the same time.
You'd use HDMI out to calibrate HDTV
You'd use analog component out to go to NTSC monitor (no calibration setup though).

The "holly grail" people seem to be looking for is what monitor to use with HD.
The high end "compromise" seems to be HP Dreamcolor monitors.
Low end "compromise" may be HP LP2475w or Dell U2410
consumer "compromise" is use a cheap HDTV

This site has very detailed testing on Computer monitors
[www.tftcentral.co.uk]

Selector. Make sure you note Video as primary use as well as HDMI
[www.tftcentral.co.uk]

HP LP2475w
[www.tftcentral.co.uk]

Dell U2410 "Ultrasharp"
[www.tftcentral.co.uk]

The above are 1920x1200 rather than 1920x1080 but they have 1 to 1 pixel support as you don't want 1080 or 720 upscaled. HP Dreamcolor can be set to Rec 709 whereas the above above can't but we're talking very low budget. They are "Expanded Gamut" though. Personally I haven't been happy with anything I've read about either HDTVs (lower budget) or 1080 (Full HD) computer monitors.
December 05, 2010 08:41PM
One more clarification... what I originally meant to ask... although all of the above is great info...is simply this.

"If I have an LCD monitor setup thru a Matrox mini box, do I still need an NTSC monitor also?" Can I dump my NTSC CRT? Or do I still need it to confirm titles on interlaced footage etc?"
December 05, 2010 09:39PM
I say, if you continue to work with interlaced, keep the NTSC monitor. YOu have it, just connect to it via another connector. Have them BOTH going.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
December 05, 2010 10:36PM
Yeah I think thats the smart answer too, but the question stems simply from a physical space limitation, no room for larger dual LCDs AND the NTSC monitor. I may end up having the ntsc available as a final check on titles, interlacing etc., but normally working with the LCDS until then
December 05, 2010 11:34PM
I bought one HP LP2475w as I need a good 2nd LCD monitor any way. I've been using a JVC Production Monitor (SD CRT) to check my stuff as my local cable spots are still delivered in Standard Def (many cable stations still aren't taking HD local spots!). I'm going to calibrate it with my Spyder3Elite DVI in. Then I'm going to use the HDMI in through MXO-LE. Maybe it's a bit Rube Goldbergesq but I'll be able to see how the HP LP2575w handles things. As things are going though even the SD spots are generally viewed at home on an HDTV these days.

I have to wait until HP replaces the defective monitor stand before I test any of this though. Sigh!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics