FCP 5.0.4 won't open

Posted by phadra 
FCP 5.0.4 won't open
November 30, 2010 07:59PM
I have been using this version of FCP since I got it and it worked fine until a few weeks ago. Now every time I try and open it I get this message: "Final Cut Pro quit unexpectedly"

I don't know what to do. My only thought is that i installed the most recent version of snow leopard. Could that be what is causing this?

I'm using

Final Cut Pro Version: 5.0.4

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.5

Model: iMac 9,1

Ram: 4
Re: SNOW LEOPARD: Highs, Lows & Bugs [things to know before you upgrade]
November 30, 2010 07:11PM
I recently installed snow leopard 10.6.5. A couple of weeks later I tried to open FCP version 5.0.4 for the first time since the install and it wouldn't open. Every time I try and open it it says "Final Cut Pro quit unexpectedly."

Help! I don't know what to do. I'm assuming it has to do with snow leopard but don't know for sure.

I'm working on an iMac 9,1. I have 4 GB of Ram
November 30, 2010 07:22PM
Not sure about iMacs, but if it uses intel chips, you have hard luck running FCP 5.0 on it (which was built for PPC chips). In fact, I don't think Snow Leopard is supported on PPC chips.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 30, 2010 07:39PM
It worked fine on this iMac until a few weeks ago. I'm assuming it's when I upgraded the snow leopard.
November 30, 2010 09:38PM
I merged the two threads for organization and for sanity. Thing is, FCP 5.0 is coded for the PPC chips. FCP 5.1 is coded as universal binary, which means the application package consists of both codes for ppc and intel macs. Current Macs run on Intel chips (including yours). If you did manage to get it to run, you probably did so under translation through Rosetta. It is not advisable to run large and complex apps such as FCP (or PS or AE) under translation, because the software will run a lot slower than it should and you may encounter a lot of bugs. I would advice you to upgrade (the upgrade only costs $300 bucks).

For closure's sake, Rosetta is not installed in SL by default. You would need to install Rosetta with the Snow Leopard installer disc.

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: FCP 5.0.4 won't open
November 30, 2010 09:48PM
Wow. Thanks for your patience with me. I don't use this forum much so I thought I should open the question under something besides the snow leopard thread as well as my original post. I appreciate your help.

Obviously I am not the most tech savvy person. Are you saying that I can buy the FCP upgrade for $300 and that will solve the problem?

Thanks again for your help.
November 30, 2010 10:08PM
Yes. It's in the store.

www.strypesinpost.com
December 07, 2010 12:29PM
So I went to the Mac store and they no longer sell the updates to FCP. The guy at the store said if I update to 5.1 or 6 my FCP will work. He suggested that I go on Craigslist or ebay. I tried that but no one was selling what I needed. Any suggestions?
December 07, 2010 12:55PM
That's crap. You can update any version of FCP to the current version. They might not have has it in the retail store. It's certainly in the online store. Check the button for Upgrade

[store.apple.com]

All the best,

Tom
December 07, 2010 02:36PM
So even if I'm working off of 5.0.4 I can buy the Final Cut Studio upgrade and it will work? They told me it at the store that it wouldn't. If it will that's great news.
December 07, 2010 03:08PM
From the store page:

*About the Upgrade
The Final Cut Studio upgrade provides an upgrade path from Final Cut Studio 2, Final Cut Studio 1, Production Suite, or any prior version of Final Cut Pro. Academic and Not-For-Resale (NFR) versions are not eligible for upgrade.

All the best,

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics