Mac Pro is Bad News For Cafe LA

Posted by Dean 
Mac Pro is Bad News For Cafe LA
August 07, 2006 11:57PM
Yes that is right The Cafe LA is going to suffer when Shane, Derek and others get these new machines and have a lot less render times if any, thus having to keep editing and won't be able to help in the forums while they have less down times.
Now that I think of it will they even be able to have a coffee break?
I hope those guys start editing 4K real soon.
winking smiley
Re: Mac Pro is Bad News For Cafe LA
August 08, 2006 12:03AM
You will have me around for quite some time. I can't afford one of these just yet. To get one up to the specs I have my current one running (4GB RAM, Decklink HD card...i'd have to get a new one...Graphics card) then I'd be looking at shelling out another $6800. Something that I just cannot do.

Plus I never get the first batch of any computer. I am a RevB kinda guy...let others find the bugs and report them.
August 08, 2006 01:02AM
ya the one i want with student discoount and buying extra harddrives on my own, sadly costs less than 4 months of college bu is till 6 grand w/o tax (though if your in california tax is 3% for production and post production materials, which you could classify this as i assume, thanks arnold)

Amateur Teacher
Anonymous User
August 08, 2006 02:42AM
To show my appreciation all Mods on lafcpug will get a free Mac Pro.

Oh wait. My wife just came into the office with this months electricity bill.

Damn!

Never mind

August 08, 2006 03:32AM
We'll settle for Poquito Mas...
August 08, 2006 07:05AM
> To show my appreciation all Mods on lafcpug will get a free Mac Pro.
> Oh wait. My wife just came into the office with this months electricity bill.

Sounds like our producers:

"Great project, no pay, but credit and copy provided. Work with great people on a fantastic project so that we can keep affording our Mercedes-Benzes!"

{;-p=

But as long as there's Compressor and AfterEffects, we'll always have our "ass-down" time in front of the computer.
August 08, 2006 10:13AM
"...But as long as there's Compressor and AfterEffects, we'll always have our "ass-down" time in front of the computer."

...then you haven't seen this yet then:

[www.gridironsoftware.com] winking smiley

Like I told others in 3 other forums...Quad owners should be in NO RUSH to dive into one of these Mac Pros. The PCIe technology is here to stay, so all your new expensive capture cards & SATA RAID cards will carry over. That new Mac Pro looks nice, but I am quite happy with my Quad and those that just purchased should not panic. The Quad will be a solid unit for quite a while and it's PLENTY FAST for me and all the intense rendering that I do in After Effects. Like Shane, I too am not of the "guinea pig" sort when it comes to new machines. I'll always wait for the bugs to be worked out.

It's just an exciting time to be a Mac Addict!

- Joey

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

August 08, 2006 11:18AM
One question, Joey:

Do you have confidence that Apple will continue to provide "universal" versions of all FCP upgrades for the life of your G5? That's what determines the sense of need to go to an Intel machine. I would expect pricing on Quad G5s to get real attractive now that there's a new machine on the block, and that interests me a lot, but not if they're a dead end waiting to happen. Has Apple made any statements on this issue? OK, 2 questions.

Scott
August 08, 2006 11:33AM
I am right where I need to be currently and do not need a "universal version". The Quad is already discontinued so it's already a "dead end waiting to happen"... just like every single computer released in the last 20 years. Bottom line is mine's already paid for so every day I get out of it is gravy at this point smiling smiley

I anticipate getting to a level of Mac OS & software app compatibility on my Quad to where I do not need to upgrade anymore until I make the migration to the Intel box. I don't have to upgrade my FCP everytime an upgrade is released. I let my projects dictate the need for the migration...not trendy purchases & impulsive upgrades. I don't uprade software just to be the first on the forum to announce it. Usually, that guy is the one that's first to ask for help winking smiley

I ran a Dual 1 Ghz Quicksilver G4 2002 right up until December '05 with no issues.

- Joey

Anonymous User
August 08, 2006 11:34AM
Apple is technically still supporting OS9 apps ...since it's currently still supporting Panther, and Panther has Classic.

It might not continue to be elegant, but Apple has always supported it's older technology much longer than any other manufacturer.

August 08, 2006 11:47AM
The discounted Quad G5 will most surely start showing up as a discounted machine. The new pricing structure of the dual 2.0 dual 2.66 and dual 3.0 makes me wonder if they will simply need to pop out the two CPU chips and insert another set to mod the machine from one to another?

Sure, the PCI Express is here to stay but how long will it take (name list here) to mod their drives to support capture cards and storage array controllers.

I see that AJA has announced UB support for some of their products on the Intel Mac Pro, but how long will it take others?

August 08, 2006 03:33PM
the problem is when leopard comes out tiger support will slow, and the big thing is so will universal products, my question is now that apple switched processors, are they going to make an OS for powermacs.

edited for clarity (keyboard batteries are going dead)

Post Edited (08-08-06 14:09)

Amateur Teacher
Anonymous User
August 08, 2006 03:43PM
Aaron

Use a spell checker and correct punctuation in your posts. You often have useful things to say, but don't make us have to ask for a translation.

Simply put, you're a smart guy so don't degrade yourself by posting like you might on My Space. Whole different culture on this forum.

August 08, 2006 04:07PM
[It might not continue to be elegant, but Apple has always supported it's older technology much longer than any other manufacturer.]

Deb makes a fine point. Unfortunately, Apple never used to need the adverbial preposition "much longer than..."

Stamp out APP-NESIA!

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:
Preview effects sections with Option-P or Option-Backslash!

The FCP 5 KeyGuide?: a professional placemat.
Now available at KeyGuide Central:
www.neotrondesign.com
August 09, 2006 04:52PM
grafixjoe wrote:

>
> I ran a Dual 1 Ghz Quicksilver G4 2002 right up until December
> '05 with no issues.

I'm still running one, and the only issues i have are: No Motion (even though I have the software) and I just got an HVX200, and can't edit DVCPROHD (well, I can, but the machine is too slow for any kind of preview). I'm relegated to DVCPRO50 widescreen. which is actually not so bad.

It's been a good machine, but is clearly past it's time, and now is time to upgrade. well, after the first round of problems are fleshed out.

but i still wish apple had included a SATA external port with the thing (i didn't see one and heard no mention of it). l

agreed; no guinea pig for me.

HarryD
August 09, 2006 10:12PM
>>> I'm still running one, and the only issues i have are: No Motion <<<

I ran Motion on an ATI 9800 Pro Mac Edition video card. I sold the card to someone in the Café when my Quad arrived. Nice to know it's still in the family smiling smiley

- Joey

August 10, 2006 01:31AM
So if I install a 9600 Pro or 9800 Pro on my Dual 800 G4 I can run Motion?

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:

www.neotrondesign.com
August 10, 2006 03:29AM
Unfortunately the Pro GFX cards...9600 Pro and 9800Pro...don't fit in the G4s. They don't have Pro slots. Just regular ol AGP.
August 10, 2006 11:27AM
I'm certain one of those comes in a 2/4 AGP model.

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:

www.neotrondesign.com
August 10, 2006 11:45AM
I made a decision to not upgrade my machine this way, spcifically to put the money toward a G5 (now a MacPro). I use After Effects anyway, and while I'd very much like to play with Motion, I never felt the need to have it (even though I've seen it and like it).

HarryD
August 14, 2006 08:23PM
No probs here running a 9800 card in my QS G4. Motion is slow but it works well enough to create complex animations...
August 15, 2006 12:33AM
Cool. Is that a dual monitor card?

- Loren
Today's FCP 5 keytip:

www.neotrondesign.com
August 15, 2006 12:39AM
Yes...I ran a 17" Sony SDM-S73 (vga port) and an Apple 17" Flat Panel (DVI to ADC Adapter needed) off the 9800 on my QS G4.

- Joey

August 15, 2006 12:52AM
Joe, did you ever get the S-Video port to work? I tried running the signal out to a TV once but nothing showed up...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics