Converting NTCS to PAL, Field domincance issue

Posted by WABcutter 
Converting NTCS to PAL, Field domincance issue
January 04, 2011 02:13AM
Hey All.

I heard this was the place to go for the best advice. I've got a certain situation on my hands and not sure how to solve this issue.

I'm working on an animation show. Everything is created and put together in Shake and final exports from Shake, I receive as an "uncompressed 24 bit RBG, 30 fp, *Upper (odd) Field dominance". I take that and in compressor convert it to "ProRes HQ 29:97 fp, none field dominance.
I set my timeline to be just as my ProRes conversion "1920x1080 ProRes HQ, 29:97 fp, none field dominance"

When i export the final clip, it is as I asked "1920x1080 ProRes HQ, 29:97 fp, none field dominance"
BUT when I stick it into compressor and convert it into PAL "1920x1080 ProRes 25 fp, Field Output: same as source"

Once the conversion is complete, it comes out with 'Upper field dominance' creating a blur as you see on the picture (Will post in a later post)

Any idea what's going on? Why does it automatically revert back to 'upper field dominance'? How can I fix that??
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best,
Hus
Re: Converting NTCS to PAL, Field domincance issue
January 04, 2011 02:43AM
I don't understand the process. Why 30fps (is it 29.97), why do you deinterlace it to 29.97p (is the deinterlacing done properly), and why don't you convert the source 30i footage to 25p, also why do you need 25p?

www.strypesinpost.com
January 04, 2011 06:34AM
Hmm,

A bit of confusion on my side as well.
Did you mean "30 p" or "30 fps". If it's "30 p" there is no interlace and field dominance is "None".
If it's "30 fps" and there is a field order it is "60 i" in any cases you can just change the playback speed of the clips to NTSC playback timing -- no Compressor and re-encoding needed, just Cinema Tools.
In case you want to convert to PAL why not set up a Compressor template where you can drag a ref-movie of the timeline. 'Send to Compressor' can be a bit glitchy sometimes.

Andreas
January 06, 2011 04:20AM
Hey - Strypes, Andreas,

Sorry about the delay, currently in Beijing China, timing isn't the best.

Let me correct myself. The uncompressed I receive are 30fps, upper field dominance. Is that possible? Does that mean I am receive 15 frames interlaced? please see image

http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff456/FattsA/?action=view&current=Screenshot2011-01-06at24914PM.png

This is the problem that is happening when I put it through compressor with the setting mentioned.

http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff456/FattsA/?action=view&current=FieldDominanceissue1-1.jpg

As you can see, this seems to me like a field dominance issue even though the compressor setting goes from 30p to 25p...
Any ideas?

Much appreciated.
Husain.
January 06, 2011 05:30AM
Let's see the complete item properties of the original media. Open the file into the QT player and report exactly what it says in movie inspector. The image you're showing gives both files as 30fps. Where does 25fps come in?

All the best,

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics