Autosave vault

Posted by phadra 
Autosave vault
January 10, 2011 02:50PM
I just took a final Cut One on One session and the teacher recommended that I set the autosave vault to the computer and not to the external. That way if the external crashes I have the autosave vault. Problem is I will be using more than one computer for this project (desktop and laptop.) I'd alway's been told before to save everything to the external harddrive so that all files would be in the same place? Any thoughts?
Re: Autosave vault
January 10, 2011 02:59PM
> Problem is I will be using more than one computer for this project (desktop and laptop.) I'd
> alway's been told before to save everything to the external harddrive so that all files would be
> in the same place?

Your teacher is right. Autosave Vault's main purpose is to guard against short-term failures, such as your last two hours' work, and failure of an entire drive is a pretty common one. Keeping your Autosave Vault on the same drive as the rest of your project files makes it potentially useless. Plus, Autosave Vault is not the best way to preserve work from, say, four weeks ago.

Here's what you should do.

1. If your teacher didn't teach you this, he should still get a rap on the knuckles: To guard against long-term loss, you need to implement a manual archiving system. For more details, do a search in the LAFCPUG Cafe LA forum for "file management" and "archiving". But basically, every two to three hours, I do a manual backup process (or even more often if I have important progress on the editing). I duplicate my active project file, add a date/time stamp to the copy, and then move that copy to both another location on the media drive (which is usually where my active project file also is), and to a USB flash stick. This work puts control in your hands -- you decide when and how often to backup your project file, rather than some arbitrary autosave every 10 or 15 minutes, and you can also decide what to call the backed up file.

2. Continue to send your Autosave Vault to the computer's internal drive. That's your safeguard if your entire drive fries.

3. If you switch computers, copy the contents of the current computer's Autosave Vault to your media drive. That way you have a copy of it, rather than the only copy.

Honestly, I've never had to use Autosave Vault to restore anything older than 12 hours or so, because of my manual archiving system. This also means you can clean out your Autosave Vault fairly regularly. In one eight-hour editing session, you could produce 20 Autosave project files, and that becomes cumbersome in a real hurry. With my system, you can pretty confidently wipe your Autosave Vault, or reduce it to just one file a day, every so often, making more space and less clutter on your system drive.

www.derekmok.com
Re: Autosave vault
January 10, 2011 03:17PM
Great information. Thank you so much.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics