Convert Frame Dropout Problem

Posted by mhmusic 
Convert Frame Dropout Problem
January 16, 2011 04:52PM
I am editing in FCP 6.0.6. I have a sequence that uses standard color DV source material @ 29.97 drop frame 720 x 480. However, the sequence was incorrectly set before editing at ProRes (HQ) 1440 x 1080 24 fps. I cannot successfully output a standard DV NTSC file that does not have drop frames between each edit. How can I output this sequence to play back correctly? Thanks for the help.
Re: Convert Frame Dropout Problem
January 16, 2011 05:26PM
So the render lines on the sequence didn't clue you in that your sequence and clips didn't match...that's something you need to look for. Keep you out of this trouble.

Unfortunately when you copy and paste footage from one frame rate (23.98) to another (29.97), gaps will appear between many many cuts. And what you have to do is manually fix those. the CLOSE GAP feature won't keep your cut intact like it was when you were in the wrong sequence.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 17, 2011 02:40PM
Thanks so much for your reply Shane. I always know I can count on LAFCPUG for answers & insight when I need help in FCP.

Actually, I was brought in to help repair another editor's edit. I always check my sequence settings prior to beginning editing to match my desired output so I don't experience this problem like you said.

But I did find a solution that was much easier than the one you recommended to save this edit. I made an output of the cut using CURRENT SETTINGS which was ProRes (HQ) 1440 x 1080 24p to a QuickTime file. This file played smoothly on my computer with no dropouts unlike previous exports to DV from FCP directly. Then I used MPEG ClipStream to convert this file to a letterboxed 16x9 NTSC 720x480, 29.97 DV file. I selected 'better downscaling' and 'frame blending' for the conversion and set quality to 100%. The resulting DV file played back on my computer smoothly as well as after being burned to a standard DVD using Toast which played very satisfactorily on two other DVD players without dropouts. I'm happy. This took a lot less time than adjusting all of the edits which were many for a 3:30 min. music video. Maybe this was cheating, but seemed like a great workaround to me.

I'm open to better solutions if anybody has any for future edits. Thanks again Shane for your input.
January 17, 2011 03:07PM
So you're going to take this DV footage, blow it up over 200% in FCP, output that as a QT file, downconvert that back to DV, and call it good?

Yuck. It'll be far from the best qualiy you can get. Horrid idea. Not to mention the frame rate mismatch. But, if it's good enough for them...

I'd never do this though.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 17, 2011 03:19PM
Man oh man. Yeah, that doesn't sound like a solution so much as, well, pretending the problem isn't there.

You can't just re-conform the timeline by using Match Frame to call up the un-molested DV clips and edit in a DV timeline with the proper frame rate? For a 3:30 music video, the Match Framing should take only an hour or so, and then you just cross-check with the edit to make sure nothing slipped.

www.derekmok.com
January 17, 2011 07:45PM
This was a student project I assisted to burn for playback in a classroom so we're not that concerned to achieve maximum quality output. The project was not watchable prior, but the workaround got it out the door for the student be able to play the project for the class. Using Match Frame sounds like the best professional solution. Thanks for all of your input.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics