NeoScene vs Prores for avchd

Posted by J.Corbett 
NeoScene vs Prores for avchd
February 02, 2011 05:29PM
I still get a lot of grain from my Hmc in 24p (720 or 1080). I was reading a post that recommended NeoScene for avchd.

Has anyone had experience with using something other than Prores to get a better image? (less Grain)

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

> > > Knowledge + Action = Wisdom - J. Corbett 1992
""""
Re: NeoScene vs Prores for avchd
February 02, 2011 06:45PM
Drop your camera gain setting to zero. And turn off detail enhancement on your image. Use proper lighting instead. There is no substitute. Prores looks great. Haven't tried neoscene, but i don't think it is supported by the FCP RT engine. So use it if you like, but RT performance won't be as good.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 03, 2011 06:19PM
ok, thanks for the tips on cam settings.

I had good lighting but the gain was at 6db. Its always been there. I use shutter before i think of gain most of the time.

It could be my settings in the nle. I shot 1080p24 and i am editing in 720p24. I have some steady cam that i am gonna apply to one shot and i thought the extra room would help.The BM Intensity on this computer has no 720p24.

So on the external (which i believe more) it has some grain. On the its cpu monitor, its clean.
The BM Intensity is set to BM HD 720p 54.94 (1280x720), which i am guessing is mathematically as close as it gets. Also my external maxes at 720p.

I Thought of setting the SEQ to 1080p24 and letting the external crunch that into its 720p limitations. Not sure what recipe will work best.

""" What you do with what you have, is more important than what you could do, with what you don't have."

""""
February 03, 2011 06:31PM
Maybe the 3:2 pulldown is causing some artifacts?.?.

""""
February 03, 2011 06:40PM
Transcoding to ProRes doesn't introduce any grain. It might be your using 1080 in a 720 sequence. FCP scaling isn't the best. Why not work in 1080? Because your monitor doesn't do native 1080? That doesn't matter in the slightest. I work with 1080 and 720 all the time on my HD CRT...that maxes out at 800 scan lines. Still works, still looks good.

Monitoring at 720p 59.94 is right...that's what you do for 720p 23.98. You don't want to monitor true 24p anyway...monitor flicker will drive you nuts!

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics