Capture doesn't want to stop!

Posted by limakid 
Capture doesn't want to stop!
February 09, 2011 12:39AM
Hi,

I am capturing some VHS. The video is being captured propperly. I think so, because I saw the video in the respective capture window.

When I press ESC to stop the capture, the FCO "Does Not Answer", I heard just the "bip" of wrong hit. The capture screen still on blue. The Final Cut continued capturing the blue slug after pressed the ESC button. Why? The video illustrate what I've been doing and the problem. Quesiton of Memmory? RAM? some settings?

Thx in advance for your help.video: [www.metacafe.com]
Re: Capture doesn't want to stop!
February 09, 2011 04:46AM
Have you tried a different keyboard? Also, the -av file generally happens when there is a timecode break, which FCP has, or has tried to, capture around.

I'm going to take a wild stab with those two bits of info and say that it's to do with timecode, although you should be capturing on 'non controllable device' if you're coming from an analogue source. Try going to Final Cut Pro > User Preferences > and uncheck 'report dropped frames' and 'Abort capture on dropped frames', and change 'On timecode break' to 'Warn after capture'.

Then do a test and see how it goes. If it's still a problem, test the keyboard.

February 09, 2011 10:46AM
limakid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> When I press ESC to stop the capture, the FCO
> "Does Not Answer", I heard just the "bip" of wrong
> hit.

Does the capture window have focus? Has a dialog box popped up behind the window or elsewhere on the screen?

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
February 09, 2011 02:25PM
What everyone said. Plus check your Scratch Disks pane and look to see if you've checked the little checbbox below the disk list that says "Capture video and audio to separate drives." This has often resulted in separate "av" files which confuse FCP. You do NOT want to check this when capturing DV from a non-controllable device. Everything should capture to a single target drive.

Also, at the end of capture, when you press ESC, you sometimes need to wait while FCP "collects" the clip, and if it's a long clip, like an hour of VHS, you could easily spend several minutes collecting. You should see the rainbow beachball spinning. I have seen that. So as a test, after capturing, (assuming you can) just hit ESC ONCE. Then step back and wait a while. Go have some tea. That might be the issue.

- Loren

Today's FCP keytip:
Set a motion effect keyframe instantly with Control-K!

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics