flickering lines on graphics

Posted by Marko 
flickering lines on graphics
February 14, 2011 10:34AM
Hi all,

My animated graphics look great when I export them from the FCP timeline (compression "None"winking smiley but then when I compress them for dvd (dvd burn option in Squeeze)
and play them on a HD tv 1920x1080p the graphics have these flickering lines on them. Can anyone tell me why? Why does is look great on my mac and crummy on the HD tv?

Please help!

thanks

marko
Re: flickering lines on graphics
February 17, 2011 11:15AM
If you looked at the basic math

HDTV 1920x1080 = 2,073,600 pixels of detail

SD DVD 720x480 = 345,600 pixels of detail

If you don't create your graphics with the conversion in mind then you will have lines that are lost completely or worse reduced to single pixels and on an interlaced SD CRT they will flicker like crazy!

However I suspect that the reason they are flickering on your HDTV is that the reduced picture is being scaled back up badly along with the issue I highlighted above.

You need to do one of these things:

Scale the original graphics down in the Mac - adding a bit of gaussian blur - to about 0.3px to 0.6px should but you might need as much as 2px (without seeing your graphics I cannot guess). This will help to blur the hard edges which will scale better (yet softer) and stop flicker.

Recreate your graphics with softer edges and/or 'fine' lines that don't go hard-edged below 6px to 8px in size.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics