Recording direct to a hard drive and SXS cards simultaneously with PMW-EX1

Posted by aquaimage 
Recording direct to a hard drive and SXS cards simultaneously with PMW-EX1
March 04, 2011 02:18PM
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience simultaneously recording to a hard drive or laptop while also recording to SXS cards with this camera? I have a need to do this and wanted to know what works.

Thanks!
Re: Recording direct to a hard drive and SXS cards simultaneously with PMW-EX1
March 04, 2011 02:22PM
Would be fine. You will need the Aja iohd to record ProRes, with a drive array connected through an eSATA/expresscard adapter.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 04, 2011 02:44PM
Or just get a KiPro that is designed for this. No big bulky computer and hard drive...it is a small unit that is basically an IO HD, but it has a hard drive attached. Records directly to ProRes. And the camera triggers the record start and stop.

Timecode won't match between the SxS cards and the ProRes files though...not with the KiPro or computer. Unless the camera has timecode out...as the KiPro has timecode in. But, AFAIK, the EX cameras don't have timecode out.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 04, 2011 03:24PM
Thanks for the suggestions! Is there no way to record directly to a Mac Laptop? I am trying to do this the most economical and simple way that I can find (although those two requirements may not be compatible!)...
March 04, 2011 03:44PM
I'm not sure the EX cameras send a video stream via firewire like DV or HDV do. They might, if people use them with something like VeeScope Live. This would be worth testing. But then you'd be capturing as XDCAM...if it works.

If you want ProRes, you need an AJA IOHD or Matrox MXO2 card with that laptop. If you want full 1080, the IOHD would be the safest bet....it does the ProRes conversion internally...the MXO2 relies on the computers processors. And Laptops aren't as fast as desktops...they might drop frames.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 04, 2011 05:53PM
Shane,

Thanks for the explanation and clarification! At least I know which direction to head now....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics