Recommedations for Batch Resizing of quicktime videos

Posted by rjoe11 
Recommedations for Batch Resizing of quicktime videos
March 07, 2011 12:08AM
I've got a project with 3K and 2K proRes qts.....i'm looking for a simple way to batch resize them all into a smaller resolution size. My editor is working on a macbook pro, thus working with 3K/2K footage is very very slow.....A sequence with edits has already been made too so we would like to keep the names of the 3K/2K qts the same so that would can easily re-connect after the resizing of the qts.

Is there another program other than compressor that can do this? we're having issues with compressor thus looking for an alternative. Any recommendations? Thanks!
Re: Recommedations for Batch Resizing of quicktime videos
March 07, 2011 01:24AM
3k and 2k. That sounds like RED. Are you transcoding it via log and transfer or RC-X? You can choose debayering and resizing quality there, then do a full or half premium debayer during the grade.

Alternatively, you can transcode to full rez ProRes, down convert for offline, then relink to the full Rez ProRes files anytime you are ready for finishing. You will need to redo any resizing or repositioning. Compressor will keep the clip metadata, or you can MM Recompress it in FCP (need to check if it preserves clip ids if you went the log and transfer route and you want to batch capture later on). What issues are you having with Compressor?

www.strypesinpost.com
March 07, 2011 02:25AM
To confirm, you're wanting to make lower resolution editing proxies to make the cut and then reconnnect to the original media?

MPEGStreamclip has a batch function (Cmd+B) that might do it for you.

www.squared5.com
March 07, 2011 04:43AM
I'm not too sure if you can batch transcode timecoded/ log and transferred material in mpeg streamclip. You may lose important metadata such as source timecode and clip UIDs.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 07, 2011 11:36AM
I've only got the 3k/2K proRes Quicktimes to work with, no original RED files.

Compressor is very glitchy for some reason, when i try to add settings to all the qts (200+ qts), it will only add settings to a few of them... i tried adding settings one by one but when i got export, it'll still transcode a few of them and crash...so wierd...i've trashed prefs, render ques, restart, etc.

thanks for the input guys....
tc
March 07, 2011 04:17PM
I had a similar glitch-y crash-y problem with Compressor, and found that if I did 20 or so files at a time in my batch it would work fine. Granted, not totally elegant, but the execution was flawless and hence not frustrating.

tc
March 07, 2011 06:33PM
thanks TC....looks like I might have to do that....
March 07, 2011 08:04PM
Create a droplet and use that.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 07, 2011 10:48PM
Depending on how you have Compressor set up and whether or not you have your processors set up in a QuickCluster, Compressor will begin to write temp files for many of the items in your render que. If there are too many, the drive where the temp files are being written my run out of space.
I was doing a scale up from 720 to 1080 of 3x90 minute shows. Scaling quality was set to high on an 8 way QuickCluster. The temp files ate up almost 300GB of a 1TB array before I killed it and did them one at a time.

Check your preferences for Compressor and Qmaster to see where your temp files are going.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
March 07, 2011 11:13PM
Compressor does have a pretty ridiculous lag when you are trying to import footage in bulk. I suspect this is caused by trying to access metadata on all those clips.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics