Avid to FCP

Posted by RedMicki 
Avid to FCP
February 23, 2011 07:58PM
I just had files and a 75 minute timeline transferred from my old Avid
Media Composer 9600 (internal and external drives) to an external LaCie hard
drive. When I tried to open them on my Mac Pro in Final Cut Pro, they
would not open. Although I'm a filmmaker and good editor, I am very limited technically.
What do I have to do to open the timeline created in Avid to continue editing in FCP?

Thanks so much.

Micki
Pro Bono Productions
www.neshobafilm.com
Re: Avid to FCP
February 23, 2011 11:26PM
You need Automatic Duck (www.automaticduck.com). Avid files are really only viewable on an Avid...proprietary media. But there is a way with Automatic Duck to send the cut to FCP, and it will make QT files that reference that Avid media. But there are limitations.

You can only work with the media in the cut. You doesn't convert the entire project, nor all the media. Only what is in the cut. You need to download and install the Avid codecs from Avid.com in order for FCP to see the footage. And, you need to export this cut from Avid Media Composer...so you need to open the project in Avid, export an AAF (or OMF in the case of an OLD old project), and then use the Duck Pro Import option to import that into FCP.

This is pretty old. I might flag the author of the Duck to see what the issues might be. Tricks that might need to be done.

Or...you can purchase the Avid Media Composer software and continue cutting on Avid. ANd there is a 30 day trial, if you think you can finish in a month. OR...you can use that 30-day trial to access the project and export the AAF that the Duck craves.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
February 23, 2011 11:51PM
The other method belongs to the cavemen. Export an edl, bring that into FCP, trim and capture from tapes with handles. Good luck with tapeless formats, and you will need a lot of eye matching.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 23, 2011 11:59PM
Since this is coming from an Avid running on a Powermac 9600...I HIGHLY doubt there is tapeless footage involved. This is a 10+ year old system.

Just sayin'

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
February 24, 2011 12:06AM
Sounds a little like a blessing in disguise there. Is that pre-meridian? I know of an old broadcast engineer who still keeps the motherboard of his first avid. Sentimental chappie.

EDLs are still painful to go cross platform with, partly because they are old and they were designed to transfer cuts to online machines for finishing.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 24, 2011 12:07AM
I'll wager it was an ABVB Avid. Probably running 7.1 software. But only guessing.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
February 24, 2011 03:40AM

I'll wager it was an ABVB Avid. Probably running 7.1 software.

Ahhhh that takes me back...

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
February 24, 2011 06:32AM
EDL's will NEVER die. I have a client who loves to cut on an Avid DS. We re-conform his work on a Quantel Pablo. As Avid considers that system a finishing machine they never taught it how to export a proper AAF. So he makes EDL's, which the Pablo makes into AAF's so that we can capture and finish for him.

We have had some issues, and all the editors with EDL experience gather around to figure a solution. What few hairs there are in that meeting are white!

-V
February 24, 2011 12:46PM
If your media is pre-ABVB I think you're going to be mostly out of luck. Certainly Automatic Duck's plug-in for FCP cannot import and OMF file from something older than MC 7.

Your best bet is to download and try the 30-day trial of Media Composer.

--
Wes Plate
Automatic Duck, Inc.
[www.automaticduck.com]
March 01, 2011 04:03PM
Hi Wes,

Thanks so much for your advice. I believe the Avid software was 7.2 that I used to edit the project on the 9600 that I want to finish on FCP on a Mac Pro. The media and timeline has already been transferred from the old computer to a LaCie external drive. I can see the files, but cannot open any of it. I'm not sure I can finish the project in 30 days for the free Media Composer trial. If I get the automatic duck plug in, will I be able to access my media and continue editing the timeline in Final Cut Pro? I am so limited technically, so I'm feeling overwhelmed. I really appreciate your help, as I have to make smart decisions about spending money. I just finished a film that took 7 years. My house is mortgaged to the max. Please check out my work. www.neshobafilm.com Thanks again! Best, Micki
March 01, 2011 04:30PM
Sorry, but you can't access the Avid media without an Avid. So you realistically you need to either rent an Avid until it is done, or buy the Avid Media Composer software. The Automatic Duck software will allow you to send a SEQUENCE to FCP, with reference QT movies. But it doesn't convert all the footage, nor the project and the organization. You'd have to recapture all the footage, use the Duck to get the sequence you have thus far over...or just get the Avid software and finish the job.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 02, 2011 12:43PM
Thanks for letting me know, so I can figure out what to do. I'm very stressed out about this and other technical problems I'm having hooking up my analogue decks to a Kona 3 card. Do you know anyone in LA who can help me? Let me ask something else I don't know. Will any version of Media Composer be okay, or do I have to get the latest version? (I could save money buying Media Composer 4.) Is it okay to have both Final Cut Pro and Media Composer on my Mac Pro? I appreciate you so much!!! Best, Micki, Pro Bono Productions, www.neshobafilm.com
March 02, 2011 01:18PM
Yes, you can have both MC and FCP on the same machine. Ideally you could try checking out the MC demo to see if you get any luck with it.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 03, 2011 11:21AM
That's good to know. Can I use Media Composer 4 or do I have to get Media Composer 5? The project was edited on older Avid software. I'm trying to save as much money as I can. Thanks so much! Micki
March 03, 2011 11:39AM
Media Composer 4 should work. That's the cool thing about Avid, you can open projects with just about any version. The only issues that pop up are when you use effects that aren't available in the other versions.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 03, 2011 02:23PM
That's great to know. Thanks so much! Last question (for now!) Do you know anyone who could come to my studio (in the garage behind my house) and set up my anologue decks -- Beta SP, 3/4 inch, Hi 8 mm, VHS and DVD -- through the Kona 3 card I just had installed in the Mac Pro. I also need that person to install an Airport extreme card, so I can get on the Internet. (I have the card.) Do you know people who could do this? I'm so glad I found you! Best, Micki
March 03, 2011 04:09PM
Analog INTO a Kona 3? Well...the Kona 3 doesn't have analog inputs at all...SDI only. You'll have to get an Analog to digital converter. AJA HD10AVA is what you'll need, or similar Decklink converter.

The Kona 3 is a good card, but if you needed analog inputs, you should have gotten the Kona LHi.

And with all those decks, you either need to switch them manually, or get a router. Do you have the Kona 3 break out box?

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 04, 2011 08:59AM
I was advised by Mac Enthusiasts to get the Kona 3 card to input my analogue decks. I spent over a thousand dollars on the card! Now I need something else? I do have a breakout box that came with the Kona 3 card that I bought through eBay. I'm so stressed out about this, Shane. What exactly do I need to buy now? You'll never know how much I appreciate you; I only wish I knew all this sooner. Thank you so much! Best, Micki
March 04, 2011 11:29AM
Try looking at the decklink series from Blackmagic design for cheaper options. You may be able to get analog outs from the Kona 3

www.strypesinpost.com
March 04, 2011 11:35AM
Boy, those "Mac Enthusiasts" steered you wrong. WAY wrong. The Kona 3 only has digital inputs. The only analog it has is OUTPUT, and only if you have the Kona Break Out Box. You got a screaming deal on that (normally all that runs nearly $3000)...but it won't do what you need it to do. Now you need to get an Analog to Digital converter. The AJA one is $1000...but the Decklink one is $500. You need the ANALOG TO SDI converter...

[decklink.com]

Sorry that you were steered wrong. This is why I make a point to know exactly what all the capture cards are capable of. I have used them all.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 04, 2011 06:55PM
This is getting more depressing by the minute. Do you know anyone who needs a Kona 3 card with breakout box, cable and CD. I paid $1,125 for it. I just want to get my money back so I can buy the Kona LHi which on B&H is $1,500. I have hundreds of hours of analogue footage shot over the past 20 years in every analogue format. This footage will be integrated into an HD film that I am currently shooting. I've been following three generations of a family in Houston all these years. The film is about generational poverty and its affects on children.

Who should I take my computer to in the LA area other than Mac Enthusiasts that you trust? I really appreciate your expertise and your time.
March 04, 2011 07:12PM
The LHi is exactly what you need. No, I don't know anyone who wants that card...but it is such a good deal, you surely could sell it on eBAY or Craigslist and get that, or more.

Where to take it to get stuff installed? Or technicians to come there? I don't know. Melrose Mac? As them.

Michael? Mr. Horton? Know of anyone/any place that does this?

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 04, 2011 07:21PM
Okay, but I have another question. I went on B&H to check the price of the Kona LHi ($1,495) and the Decklink Studio 2 ($660). What is the difference between them? What does the Kona card do that the Decklink card doesn't? I just want to be smart when I spend money that is so hard to come by. I will try to sell the Kona 3 card on eBay, and hopefully get my money back. You've been a God send to me. Thank you!
March 04, 2011 07:30PM
The biggest difference...customer support. It is world class...the gold standard. And the interface is easier...and AJA includes ALL the ProRes presets...Decklink only a couple (ProRes HQ...but not plain ProRes...for some unknown reason)...so you have to customize them to fit your needs. Otherwise they are fine cards.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 04, 2011 07:57PM
Since I would have no idea how customise pre sets, I guess I should opt for the AJA. I'd have to hire someone to set the special pre sets. Thanks, Shane.
March 07, 2011 09:19PM
Okay, I'm back. I've done more research which is dangerous. Do I really need the Kona LHi, or for my needs, is the Kona LHe a better and less expensive choice? The technical differences are over my head. The Kona LHe is les expensive and I think does what I need. But if the LHi is the best one, I want to buy that one. Can you advise me? Thank you! Best, Micki
March 07, 2011 10:26PM
THe Kona LHe has analog inputs, and will down convert HD to SD, but will not upconvert SD to HD, or cross convert 720p to 1080i, or vise versa. The Kona LHi does all the LHe does, but it upconverts SD to HD, and cross converts. If you want to just capture your SD footage as SD...the LHe will be fine. But if you want to use it in HD projects, then you'll want to upconvert. Decklink and Matrox upconvert...the LHe doesn't. Get that option, just in case.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 08, 2011 11:53AM
Thanks, Shane. You definitely answered my question. I have already shot HD footage for the new project that will be intercut with all the analogue footage shot over the last 20 years, so I will buy the LHi. I was trying to save money, but I don't want to be foolish. What is your day job? I really appreciate your time. Micki
March 08, 2011 11:55AM
My day job varies. I am a freelance editor, primarily cutting documentaries for Discovery/History/Nat Geo. But I have done narrative shows for Nickelodeon and Disney, a couple commercials, promos, pilots, educational programming...as well as online editing for all the above.

Currently at the Disney Channel cutting promos.

www.shanerosseditor.com

[itunes.apple.com]
March 08, 2011 12:28PM
I'm so glad to know you. I wish I knew you when we were on-lining My new film, Neshoba: The Price of Freedom. The whole process was very stressful for because of my limited technical knowledge. I am a good editor; I had to be as I never had money to hire an editor. I had to wear all the hats. If I get money for my next film, I would love to hire you. Check out our website. www.neshobafilm.com Thanks so much, Shane!

Does the Decklink below both down and up convert like the LHi? That's $1,000 difference in price.

DeckLink Duo ? $495
DeckLink Duo is perfect for developers who need two completely independent capture and playback streams in and out of a computer, as both capture and playback channels are completely independent. There are two SDI inputs, and two SDI outputs plus a common tri-sync/black burst reference. DeckLink Duo appears as two independent SDI cards to the computer, but only uses a single PCI Express slot. DeckLink Duo is perfect for servers where there are multiple streams or simultaneous capture and playback per system. DeckLink Duo is compatible with Windows?, Mac OS X? and Linux?.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics