Uncompressed 8 bit SD render yields dips in black levels

Posted by rday 
Uncompressed 8 bit SD render yields dips in black levels
March 07, 2011 07:00PM
I'm re-editing an existing 1/2 hour show for broadcast and using an existing quicktime of the dubbing master as a source clip. My sequence settings are uncompressed 8 bit 720x486 frame and CCIR601. The master source clip is 720x480 uncompressed 8 bit. Anyway, I made several changes to the show, added new titles from photoshop and the show looks fine when played back in the timeline, however when I render to a new quicktime using the current sequence settings and then view it, every time one of my new titles (lower 1/3 1 line white text) comes in, the black levels in the original layer dip a few units and then go back to normal when the title layer dissolves (or cuts) out. If I change the frame size aspect ratio settings from the CCIR 601 NTSC (40.27) setting to 3:2 to accommodate the 720x480 source clip the video black level shifts go away but the existing titles (original show) in the source clip become fuzzy-almost a double image vertically and hard to read. So it's pick your poison... if I want to stay in the 720 horizontal realm. I have found if I use the 4:3 frame size aspect ratio setting in the sequence both problems go away only now I have a 640x480 show which I don't believe is broadcast standard and I really don't want to release in that size. I have tried different settings in photoshop for my titles (720x480 vs 720x486, square pixels, etc) with no appreciable results. Are there any parameters that say you can't use a 720x480 8 bit uncompressed in a sequence set for 720x486 8 bit uncompressed output? What's curious is that I don't see this when played in the timeline, only when rendered out.
Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, rday
Re: Uncompressed 8 bit SD render yields dips in black levels
March 08, 2011 11:06AM
I haven't worked with that particular setting, but since your source is 720x480, why don't you cut in 720x480? Regarding the resolution issues is the clip in question fully rendered? In the render controls tab, is the motion render quality set to normal or best? And are you monitoring on a broadcast monitor?

www.strypesinpost.com
March 08, 2011 12:42PM
Regarding the titles, make sure scale is at 100%. You can also try toggling the still and setting field dominance to lower. FCP sometimes deinterlaces progressive footage in an interlaced sequence. This behavior seems to apply to some codecs. Also, in sequence settings, make sure Rgb is set to white, not superwhite.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 09, 2011 02:29PM
The reason I don't cut in 720x480 is that I thought 720x486 was broadcast standard. Render quality is set to best. Monitor is High Def Res Dell computer monitor.
March 10, 2011 02:05AM
Well, you can't get resolution where you don't have picture. The picture will be padded and filled to 720x486 on the way out via SDI.

>Monitor is High Def Res Dell computer monitor.

That's a computer monitor. You need a broadcast monitor to gauge picture quality.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics