advice about frame rate and frame size conversion

Posted by DM 
DM
advice about frame rate and frame size conversion
March 17, 2011 12:11AM
I'm working on a wedding. Funny how I feel like crying....

I'm working with the following materials:
-Hi rez still photo's (approx 3 megs) over 1,000 still shots!
-low rez video (720 x 480) @ 29.97 fps shot with someone's phone camera.
-hi rez video (1920 x 1080 @ 23.98 fps. Format is H.264. Shot with a canon still camera of course.

I did not know about the hi-rez video until recently, so I decided on a project format based on the stills. I chose 1280 x 720. 30 frame progressive.
My sequences are ProRez. I created 6 slide shows with music in this format.

Boom, the client shows up with the hi-rez videos. There are 20 short clips. About 17 gigs worth of material. If I batch convert the video's using compressor, will I get decent results by converting to Pro Rez with the settings above? Can I expect to shrink the frame size, convert to 30p (or 29.97) and transcode to Pro Rez, all within one pass using compressor? or should I just shoot the still photographer who wants to be a videographer now? angry smiley

FC suite 3
Mac Pro
Re: advice about frame rate and frame size conversion
March 17, 2011 09:46AM
Definitely use Compressor to downscale to ProRes422, results should be handsome. To what format? Depends on end use. Ultimately it ends up where? Standard Def DVD or Blu-Ray?

Try to get everything into the same format and frame rate.

The 3 MB stills may be overkill as well, and can choke up FCP's project file size, which can be dangerous. I would run those through a separate downscale using a Photoshop action. (You may have to separate portrait from landscape shots.) While you're at it, make sure the action spits them out as RGB 8-bit TIFF files at less than 3,000 pixels across.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Play from Playhead to Out Mark with Shift-P !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
DM
Re: advice about frame rate and frame size conversion
March 17, 2011 11:19AM
I will be handing them a Blu-Ray disc and downconverting the pro rez to SD-DVD for distribution to the minyons.
I haven't worked with 24 frame video before and am concerned about the frame rate conversion.
I've already edited 6 sequences together so I can't change my format now. I let the Pro rez sequence settings take care of the downscaling of the stills. It works pretty well. Still photo's in portrait mode are a problem.

So, I need to transcode the H.264 video while changing the frame rate and change the frame size.
All these procedures at once?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics