Importing MTS files

Posted by CaseyPetersen 
Importing MTS files
June 27, 2008 11:11AM
I saw a recent thread where someone was trying to import MTS files into FCP, but was having trouble. Someone explained how to use the camera to get it to play back while FCP was recording.

Here's my issue: A customer gave us a DVD with the MTS files burned onto it. Let me amend that--a customer SHIPPED us a DVD over 2000 miles with the MTS files burned onto it.

I don't have the camcorder.

Are there any options for me?

Thanks!!

Casey Petersen
www.unitedvideoinc.com
Figured it out
June 27, 2008 11:56AM
Figured it out.

Buy Voltaic.

And it only took me an hour to figure out this time!
Re: Figured it out
June 27, 2008 02:46PM
Wow. You're ahead of the times... .mts hasn't even made wiki yet!

[en.wikipedia.org]

If anyone is wondering... here's voltaic:
[shedworx.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
June 27, 2008 04:10PM
Sorry I was going to add MTS to the wiki under MPEG Streamclip

Casey did you buy voltaic? MPEGStreamclip is free...

[www.squared5.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 27, 2008 04:20PM
> I was going to add MTS to the wiki under MPEG Streamclip

Didn't mean our wiki! Hmm... Does Streamclip decode .mts? I'm presuming it's an AVC codec with an .MTS wrapper, from what I gather (information about it seems pretty scarce), so it isn't mpeg2....

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: Importing MTS files
June 27, 2008 04:45PM
MTS = MPEG Transport Steam

Yes MPEGStreamClip converts a hell of a lot of filetypes and you can save an export Filetype and batch convert all your MTS (or other) files into any Quicktime CODEC you wish to use.

You'll need to play with the output settings but its fairly straight forward and you can set in/out points using I/O keys if you only need a small section.

This is from the user manual:

It can open many file formats:

muxed files MPEG, MPG, VOB, PS, M2P, MOD, VRO, DAT, DCM, VDR, PVR; transport streams TS, M2T, MTS, MMV, REC, VID, AUD, AVR, TP, TP0, TRP, TOD; demuxed files M2V, M1V, MPV, AIFF, AIF, M1A, MP2, MPA, AC3; QuickTime-compatible files MOV, DV, AVI, MP4, DIVX, WMV, FLV; pictures TIFF, JPEG.

MPEG Streamclip supports MPEG-1 video, MPEG layer 1/2 audio, AC3/A52 audio and PCM audio.

MPEG-2 video is supported in conversions, but for playback and export you have to buy the

MPEG-2 Playback Component ($19.99) from Apple (Free with DVDSP/FCS).

To open DivX files, you have to install one of the free DivX-compatible codecs (DivX 5 or 6, 3ivx, XviD).

To open WMV files, you can install the free Flip4Mac WMV Player from [www.flip4mac.com] . Export to WMV is supported if you buy Flip4Mac WMV Studio.

To open FLV files you have to install Perian, a free codec pack, from [www.perian.org]. But note that currently, Perian does not "obsolete" or replace other codecs so you still have to install 3ivx, DivX, XviD when required.

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
June 27, 2008 04:49PM
Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I tried it and it looks nice...people think it's a little slow and the files are a little large, but at least I can use it.

How can you use it with MPEG Streamclip??? Every time I try to open it, it says "File error. Unrecognized file type. -- Open Anyway or Okay
June 27, 2008 04:59PM
>"File error. Unrecognized file type.

Doubt you'll have much success opening it with that error. Hmm... my bad. Thought mpeg transport stream was .m2t....

Is the camcorder an AVCHD camcorder?

Here's a pretty good list.
[www.videohelp.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
June 27, 2008 05:00PM
I just tried an MTS file I found on the web and it didn't work either... Funny cus the director on my last film job was using it fine!...

Hmmm - any chance you can send a small MTS file to check?

June 27, 2008 05:04PM
Yep, this was from a Canon HG10 camcorder. The Voltaic program works fine...it just converts to a QuickTime and it's only $30.

I could try uploading an MTS file to my server on Monday. I think 12 seconds is about 8 meg. It seems to capture the individual clips into their own individual files.

Thanks! You guys rock!

Casey
June 27, 2008 05:15PM
I think if Voltaic works then go for that - maybe there are only certain types of .mts files MPEGstreamclip likes...

Will try yours on Monday Casey - PM me a link and I'll try that.

March 15, 2011 04:06PM
Hey I just started here and ive been trying to solve this huge problems between MTS and apple prores, well instead of purchasing new apps i came up with a different solution. AFTER EFFECTS, I transfered the MTS files and every folder from the camera to my HDD, then opened AE and imported the mts files, worked perfect, then just exported them as apple pro res, took me an eternity but worked excellent and now im on FCP chopping this footage and laughing after 5 hours of surfing the web with any solution
March 15, 2011 05:37PM
Me again, I forgot i had Adobe Media Encoder..... worked PE-R-FE-CT. Even faster than AE, so why don´t we give a try to the adobe family and a big applause.

Any comments?????
March 16, 2011 02:26AM
Errr. Why not just bring it in via log and transfer in FCP? FCP since FCP 6 supports most of the avchd cameras.

www.strypesinpost.com
March 16, 2011 03:37AM
Yeah, 'Log and Transfer' would be the main thrust of my comment, I think.

March 18, 2011 02:38AM
This thread describes the file structure error when trying to log and transfer .mts files. I'm posting to this thread because it's more active. First time poster here, so excuse me if this is against protocol; teach me.

The linked thread tells us to make sure to transfer the entire AVCHD file structure. I did this and had mixed results: 1 success, 1 failure. After the failure--marked by the unsupported media and/or file structure "warning"--I moved the files to a more basic file structure. I thought perhaps that would help. Thus changed, the .mts files failed again. Then I read this thread and think, "well, now what that I have destroyed the original structure?"

Question: Can I get the .mts files, free floating as they are, into FCP7 without the original file structure and without another program? If so, how? If not, (why?!) what can I do?

Conditioning note: I'm in a poor country with very crappy download speeds. Any downloaded programs would be best if they are light weight!

Thanks!
March 18, 2011 10:34AM
> Can I get the .mts files, free floating as they are, into FCP7 without the original file
> structure and without another program?

"With another program", yes. ClipWrap (haven't used it; heard about it) and Voltaic are two examples. "Without the original file structure" -- some of this other software doesn't require the additional support files to do the conversion, so as a last-ditch effort, yes. But if you're not backing up the original file structure, you need to review your on-set and post-production tapeless work habits. Preserving the original file structures is a requisite every tapeless format I've ever worked with, even oddball ones like Phantom.

> After the failure--marked by the unsupported media and/or file structure "warning"--
> I moved the files to a more basic file structure. I thought perhaps that would help.

In my opinion, you're creating a bigger mess. Sometimes the "unsupported" message can occur because of a very simple and fixable problem, such as the LASTCLIP.txt document being missing on P2 media. By deconstructing the file structure even more, you're lessening your chances of fixing the problem by restoring the original structure.

If you're not familiar with tapeless approaches, get somebody to teach you. Or, if you want to explore on your own, back up the original file structures to at least three places first. And if you're going to try to change the file structures on your own, make copies before you do so you can go back.

www.derekmok.com
March 18, 2011 10:24PM
Thanks for the quick response.

I'm sure I have created a bigger mess! I have just moved to tapeless work and this is my first project in that mode. I found this thread and it has a nice couple of overview suggestions on workflow for avchd. What do you think about those?

My solution to the problem so far: Toast 10 conversion of .mts to prores 422. takes time, but will work for now, i hope! In the future, I'll hold onto those file structures, though I'm not completely convinced. One of my failures happened with the original structure in place.

Do you have any thoughts on why that might be?
March 19, 2011 04:39AM
What Derek said. You should see tapeless formats as the equivalent of your film mags or tape. Once you get the card back from the shoot, you archive it, label it and store it somewhere save. The worst thing you can do is to take the mag apart and start wrangling the data. Especially if you don't know what you are doing. The best thing to do is to store them as a read only iso. This prevents corruption and preserves the entire contents of the card.

The problem with the Internet is that anyone can post including my 12 year old cousin. Just because you can convert a file with handbrake doesn't mean you have a rock solid workflow.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics