Vegas into FCP

Posted by ErikR 
Vegas into FCP
March 27, 2011 02:05PM
A friend of mine is working on a project and receiving sequences from other editors. He's on the latest version of FCP, but one of the sequences he's getting is from Vegas. Is there anyway to get a sequence or edl from Vegas into FCP so it links up with his media? Sure the Vegas guy can export a single file that can be brought into FCP, but if it needs further editing, that could be a pain. I believe most of the video files are imported quicktimes. I don't know which version of Vegas the other guy has, but if you need further info, let me know and I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Vegas into FCP
March 27, 2011 03:59PM
Well, edl is a pain. You would import edl and recapture from tape. Why don't you finish it on the same platform?

www.strypesinpost.com
March 27, 2011 04:06PM
when you import an EDL into FCP you get the option to format it for Recapture, or Re-connect.

a lot would depend on the format of the Vegas media.

nick
March 27, 2011 09:38PM
Got some poor planning going on here. Trying to mix editing platforms when editing footage for a common end project? Not the best plan in the world.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
March 28, 2011 12:29AM
You don't have to convince me it's poor planning, It's not my project. I warned him, but he just wants to get it done and this other guy that was going to help only does PC and has Vegas.

I think the format for the Vegas media, is the same stuff he has for FCP (don't know anything about Vegas), and I think it was all imported into Vegas so no capturing was involved. I can tell him to try a test.
March 28, 2011 12:44AM
Let is know how that pans out-- always like to be armed for mixed-platform problems.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Nudge a Canvas layer by SUBpixels
with Command-Option with Arrow keys !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack.
Now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
March 28, 2011 01:59AM
"I think it was all imported into Vegas so no capturing was involved"

the media may not have reel#s
if possible it should have reel#s added to it before an EDL is made

i don't know how to do that in Vegas, or even if you can do it.
here's an app that can help:
[www.videotoolshed.com]

ALSO
check that the Vegas EDL can contain the FILE NAME

nick
March 28, 2011 02:16AM
Typically the ones who "just wanna get it done" don't realize what editing with two completely different NLEs can do to a workflow. Yes, they have someone cutting it NOW, and that is getting done. But then try to get things to work in the main NLE and import and look great...whooops! Stumbling block...time wasted trying to get things working.

ANyway, If they are working with FCP codecs, let's hope it's easy...

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics