Sequence editing

Posted by rdedits 
Sequence editing
March 31, 2011 10:52PM
I have several sequences from different projects that I would like to edit into a completely different project time line, make revisions to these sequences and have these revisions carry over to each individual sequence. Is it command+insert/overright?

Workflow i have been using has been to load each sequence into my Viewer and than insert/overright them into the new timeline but it comes in nested and any changes I make do not show up in the original sequence.

An ole' Avid editor appreciates the help...
Rich
Re: Sequence editing
March 31, 2011 10:59PM
If you nest a sequence and apply a change the nest it will not appear in the original sequence. If you open the nested sequence and apply a change to the contents of the nest the master sequence will be updated.

All the best,

Tom
March 31, 2011 11:16PM
To be honest, I don't think nests are the way to do it here. Your Sequences are from different projects, which means the master-affiliate relationships will be tricky.

I'd backup all the original projects, copy the Sequences over to the new assembly project file, and rename them to reflect the date of the contents. When you assemble, I would copy the contents of the Sequences (ie. individual clips) rather than nesting; the individual clips will give you a lot more flexibility. Then when you're done, re-copy the contents of the master assembly Sequence into new versions of the separate Sequences, with updated names to reflect that they've changed from the original separate Sequences. To me, that's the cleanest and least accident-prone way to do it.

www.derekmok.com
April 01, 2011 07:30AM
Derek,

I'm not a big fan of nesting, never worked that way when I was editing with Media Composer. I think your workflow will be perfect for how I've tackled these projects in the past. Editing the sequences into the new timeline, is it best to copy and paste OR load into my viewer and than insert/assemble edit them into the timeline. I'm not in the suite at the moment or else I'd try it on my own, just thought I would throw it a there for now.

Tom,

When I do open the nested sequence and make changes they are not showing up in the original sequence. I'm working with FCP 6, was this updated in FCP 7?

Thanks,
Rich
April 01, 2011 07:47AM
The sequences in other projects will not change. You copy the sequences into the master project. You make new master clips. You nest the sequences. Anything you do within the nested sequences will act recursively to the master sequence in that project. If you assemble the sequence contents in a single project any changes you make to the master sequence will not be reflected in the sequences that they came from in other projects. If that's what you expected it's not going to happen. However the changes made to nested sequences in the master project can easily be copied back into the original projects because they are still intact as sequences and not just as a bunch of shots inside another sequence.

You can either copy and paste from one sequence to another, or you can Command edit from the viewer or Command drag to edit sequence content into another sequence.

All the best,

Tom
April 01, 2011 08:01AM
Thanks Tom for running through that for me. I'll need to grab a good FCP reference book for future use, I'm really enjoying this new path I'm on with FCP!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics