Print to Video-Revisited

Posted by seeker 
Print to Video-Revisited
August 17, 2006 11:13AM
This just gets more interesting! By going to Final Cut Pro>Audio/Video Settings and then clicking on Devices tab and changing video to Digital Camera Desktop Preview-Main and Audio to Built-in audio and then checking Different Output for Edit to Tape/Print to Video (but first I restart my computer and restart FCP) I can "print to video" to my camera. OK. It starts "prep video for display" and then shifts to writing video. I notice that some of my video timeline becomes "unrendered" to green at this point (and stays green) and some of the Audio as well so I get the "beep, beep" as it plays while recording in my camera. That's new. Confuses the heck out of me.

Could not get it record in "Edit to tape", Derek. It would show in my camera but would not record. Aarrgh! FCP5, G-4, dual
Re: Print to Video-Revisited
August 17, 2006 11:45AM
> Could not get it record in "Edit to tape", Derek. It would show in my camera
> but would not record. Aarrgh! FCP5, G-4, dual

With Edit to Tape, you know you're not supposed to press record on the camera, right?

First, you stripe timecode on the tape. Then you choose an In point in Edit to Tape by pressing I -- you must have at least four seconds of pre-roll on the tape. Make sure the timeline is rendered, then drag the Sequence from the Browser and drop it into Assemble in the Edit to Tape window.
August 18, 2006 12:34PM
Awlright Derek!! Seem to be getting closer. A little intimidated when it tells me it's going to take 7 DAYS to process the Audio, but I have faith. It's got a sense of humor, right? Just kidding me? Right? Video wrote in seconds, Audio...I don't know.
August 18, 2006 01:08PM
Check your Mastering Settings. Maybe you have an inhuman number set for Color Bars and Tone, etc.
August 18, 2006 01:20PM
One more thing. You'd said that you'd exported a self-contained movie file for the show, right? Is that what you're using for the Edit to Tape -- the movie file in its own timeline? Also, check to make sure that at the end of your original timeline, you don't have "junk" which is making your movie file/timeline unnecessarily long.
August 18, 2006 01:38PM
Actually, I think this thing swallowed air or something because it got over it on its own. What I did was quit and relaunch, etc. and that seemed to cure it. I think it will work this time. It's looking and acting much happier. I'm writing video now after finding a mysterious beep that is not in my timeline but I hope I lost by..well, it was involved but I think it worked. Five more minutes to write video and then I'll see.
August 18, 2006 02:03PM
Naw. Can't shake a mysterious beep (like unrendered Audio) but everything else working fine.

One last question. Why do you prefer "Edit to Tape" over "Print to Video"? "PTV" worked fine, eventually. Just curious. And thanks for the help.
August 18, 2006 04:22PM
seeker wrote:

> Can't shake a mysterious beep (like unrendered Audio)

Are you sure it's not unrendered audio?
August 18, 2006 05:04PM
Thanks Scott. I've checked the timeline and looked for any mysterious connection to earlier versions of the project. I've also rendered by key and by "click". I cannot find any evidence of unrendered anything. Now, to be honest, the reason that I am backing up and "archiving to tape" is that my HDs are full-ish and I am getting antsy but I don't think that is the problem given (immediate) past performance. I'm suspicious of a hidden project connection to a related project file (as this is a very old project) that I have not discovered and/or forgotten. (I am probably using the wrong term here.) I'm just surprised that it is showing up here and not when I burn to DVD. But I'll have to go back to my DVD and double check it to be absolutely sure. I just don't remember hearing it when I reviewed it yesterday. I also have not done FCP preference housecleaning as I usually do but again I wanted to avoid anything before I backed everything up. Also it is brief, the beep, just a few seconds, and I can probably cover it with my backup .AIFF Audio file burned on CD if it comes to that. It's just that I would like to have a clean tape copy if I can, to file away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics