FCP 7 export to QT incorrect format

Posted by PG 
PG
FCP 7 export to QT incorrect format
April 20, 2011 08:35PM
MAC OS 10.6.3
FCP 7
Black Magic card output to monitor

I just installed the foregoing upgrades in between projects. I am editing HDV footage captured as SD in the wide screen mode. (DV NTSC 48 KHZ Anamorphic) All is working well except when I attempt to export to a QT movie self contained as I have successfully done in the past. Now the QT self-contained movie is in the wrong format and of poor quality.

I have attempted different settings but to no avail.

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Re: FCP 7 export to QT incorrect format
April 20, 2011 08:47PM
We've been going round and round with this one, Phil...and I think it's time you bring in an experienced (online?) editor. Problem #1 is that your workflow is compromised to begin with, shooting on HDV but then capturing in DV -- negating the advantages of HD but with all the disadvantages. Problem #2 is, you keep saying it used to look fine, but we haven't seen what it used to look like, nor can we see what it looks like now.

I think you need in-person help, not just long-distance troubleshooting on an internet forum. You need somebody to look at your camera masters on a proper monitor, then look at your captured clips and then your exports. For all we know, your image quality throughout the whole pipeline is problematic...or there's something specific wrong with this particular batch of footage.

www.derekmok.com
PG
April 20, 2011 09:07PM
Thanks Derek. Your point is well taken.

Since my SD footage that is released on DVD is for non-profit organizations the final product has been most suitable. When I shoot in HDV and then edit the footage in HDV and print to tape in the HDV format that footage is used in part on one of the major broadcast networks without a problem.

Therefore, I would surmise that the problem is with my capture from HDV tape to the DV NTSC 48 KHz Anamorphic format.

Thanks again.

PG
PG
April 20, 2011 09:10PM
It is bothersome, however, that the footage in question prior to exporting to QT plays perfectly on an HDV monitor. It is the QT exported verison that is a problem.
PG
April 20, 2011 09:22PM
Problem solved. It was my fault as more often is the case. After your response Derek I attacked the problem once again as I did many times today but this time I reset the output settings correctly. Thanks again.
April 20, 2011 09:51PM
but what is the problem?

"wrong format"

"anamorphic" means the clip needs to be stretched when played back.
generally the exports from FCP dont "know" they need to play back stretched, so seem "squished" when played in QT.
solution is to open clip in QT player and modify the playback dimensions.
pretty sure i talked you thru this last time,
apologies if i'm wrong, it comes up a lot here.

open in QT
apple J, or Window Menu for Movie Properties
Viedo track,
Visual Settings
un-check "preserve aspect", change scaled size.
i dont know the figures for NTSC

"poor quality"

really hard to know what that's about.
it should be fine (as far as it can be given what it is)
shouldn't look worse that what you have been seeing.

"Therefore, I would surmise that the problem is with my capture from HDV tape to the DV NTSC 48 KHz Anamorphic format. "

but didn't you say you have been monitoring that and it looks fine?
it's the export that is the problem?

nick
April 20, 2011 09:51PM
oh, missed that last post.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics