Pet Peeve with Transistions

Posted by Scott Erickson 
Pet Peeve with Transistions
August 18, 2006 12:47PM
This is something ive never figured out with FCP, why is there sooo much importance placed on transitions. So much to point that it restrains actions i'd like to do just to save the integrity of a transition.

I can understand maybe a warning message but if im deliberately making an action, copy/pasting clips, moving clips, etc, that involve deleting or modifying a transistion, i can't. I have to stop, delete the transistion, and then make the action again. There's nothing more frustrating, in my opinion. I know what I'm trying to do, let me do it! I'd rather fcp just deleted the transition or notify me after the action that a transistion was modified. Makes sense to me...

Maybe im alone here but i just wanted to vent or maybe get other opinions
Re: Pet Peeve with Transistions
August 18, 2006 12:56PM
It took Avid a while to make it so that you could replace a shot and keep the transition intact. Is this what you are talking about? Yeah, I'd like to see that in a future version. That and the playhead to follow the timeline as the sequence plays.
August 18, 2006 01:16PM
I think Scott's referring to something else. I think he's talking about when you move a shot but leave its transition behind, or when you're moving clip(s) to a new location that would involve overwriting part of, but not all of, a pre-existing transition. FCP prevents you from performing the operation when you do that.

I don't mind that feature too much, especially since I've been working with Avid XPress Pro for the last two weeks and making that program do *anything* is, for my FCP mindset, a complete pain in the cojones. And one of my sound tracks rippled all my other sound tracks by 10 frames with no visible warning sign...something that would never have happened to me on FCP.
August 18, 2006 02:46PM
Keeping the transition would be fantastic but derek's right, im just asking for the video clips to have priority over transitions. If a clip i move overwrites past of that transition, i want the transition to be changed/deleted and not prevented from completing the action. If the transition adapted itself, that would be even better...
August 18, 2006 03:11PM
Gotcha...me too.

I am also peeved at the OPERATION NOT ALLOWED because I want some audio to over-write some existing audio on a certain Audio track. I don't care if it is a stereo pair, OVERWRITE! If I make a mistake, I'll fix it. But most often it is INTENTIONAL!!!

So many little things bug me about this software still. But, I still love it.
August 18, 2006 10:29PM
Scott, you're not alone. I got so used to how Avid allows that with transitions, that I do it on accident in FCP all the time and get that error. On top of that, if you have multiple transitions on multiple tracks (ie: audio tracks), you have to delete them all individually before you can proceed. At least give me the ability to lasso and delete all the transitions at once.

Andy
August 18, 2006 11:43PM
You can use a replace on a shot with a transition.

You can lasso multiple edit points on multiple tracks with the edit select tool.

All the best,

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics