Log and transfer issues: SD cards & macbook pro

Posted by jawwbrakerdan 
Log and transfer issues: SD cards & macbook pro
May 03, 2011 11:15PM
Run across and interesting situation, which my collaborator and I have different opinions on...

-shooting with the Panasonic HMC-150
-shooting onto SD cards...

-when using log and transfer, and using a macbook pro on location, the footage comes in with cliches/artifacting. It appears consistently, and in the same spot.

-it happens on two different macbook pro machines

-it happens when using a card reader, directly inserting the sd card into the slot, when dragging the SD footage, pre-expanded, to an external hardrive and log/transfering from there, AND when doing the same thing on the desk top.

-playback in the camera shows no glitches.

-different class cards, and different capacity and brand cards have been used, with the same results...

The kicker?

Taking the EXACT same card into my tower desktop, and repeating all those methods (well not the slot obviously) the footage comes in flawlessly.

I'm close with the head of the business development at my local Apple Store, who also is a freelance editor and director.

In visiting with him, we believe its got to be isolated to a video card/video ram capacity issue with the macbook pros we are using, which or slightly older models. He thinks the specs on the new macbook pros would specifically eliminate this issue with the new Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory on 2.2GHz configuration.

MY main collaborator /DP vehemently disagrees, and he the feels the apple store is just trying to sell computers. He believes its an issue of the external harddrive and sd card not spinning fast enough.

My contention is, if that were true, then shouldn't we have the same issues on the tower? If the machine is the only variable, and the results are different on the tower and laptop, that's got to be the source.

So A.) has anybody run into similar problems, and B.) who's right? :-)

thanks!

jawwbrakerdan
Re: Log and transfer issues: SD cards & macbook pro
May 04, 2011 02:50PM
What version of FCP on all the machines involved? What version of QT?

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics