Fixing pixel distortion in jacket on interview subject

Posted by Jeanne Rawlings 
Fixing pixel distortion in jacket on interview subject
May 04, 2011 04:45PM
Hi - I am shooting in hi-def (1920x1080p) and have an issue with the client's jacket - I had no control (he's a politician) and it's a shiny tweed. We were under fluorescent lights. Now I'm editing and the pattern swirls as he moves his arm are extremely distracting. Any advice on how to fix this in Final Cut? Is there a filter that I can learn (in the Manual) so I can tweak this to the point where it's not so distracting? I've been looking...trying the Reduce Banding filter. I would be so grateful for any help!

Thank you.

Jeanne Rawlings
Dustlight Video Productions

www.dustlight.com
o - 530-894-3808
c - 530-966-3504
Re: Fixing pixel distortion in jacket on interview subject
May 04, 2011 09:22PM
You could make a copy of the footage, put it on V2 exactly above the original, add some gaussian blur to his general area and adjust the opacity of the top clip until the moire and the blurriness are balanced out.

The problem is fine lines with high contrast. Add blur adds a little bit of grey between the lines and reduces the contrast, which can often help.

May 05, 2011 03:25PM
It's working great. I'm adjusting "Alpha+RGB" channels. Is that the best? This is wonderful.
May 05, 2011 07:23PM
Yeah, well there's no alpha in that shot, so it's kind of irrelevant, but it doesn't hurt at all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics