Multicam DSLR footage WITHOUT creating reference files?

Posted by Joe Riggs 
Multicam DSLR footage WITHOUT creating reference files?
May 12, 2011 11:17AM
Awhile ago, someone told me about a way to multicam dslr footage without creating the reference files. The reference file way is shown here.

[canonfilmmakers.com]

From what I remember you would sync up then clips and cut the tracks, so the first clip of each track lines up at a common in point, then drag all the clips to a new folder in the browser...then my memory gets a little fuzzy...Any one know?

Thanks
Re: Multicam DSLR footage WITHOUT creating reference files?
May 12, 2011 11:32AM
This is whacked. This is FCP about five years ago. Ingest the media properly converting to a ProRes codec, make a multiclip, edit the multiclip.

All the best,

Tom
May 12, 2011 11:36AM
In the words of Tom Wolsky "this is whacked" or as I would say it, "yo, you buggin?"

These workarounds are only for projects where there is no synced timecode going to all cameras and audio, an all too familiar situation in DSLR land

Once you've lined up the tracks with pluraleyes you can add a secondary or "AUX" TC track to the clips and sync them by that TC track.
or
You can also do what you've hinted at. Once you have the clips in the bin, multiclip/sync them by in point. The part the video guy does after he imports the reference files.

I can't recommend either of these workflows for anything bigger than maybe a wedding video. FCP projects get very big and buggy with multiclips in them and if you factor reference clips in there, you are on your own in outer space. Notice also that in this guys method he loses any timecode connection to the original footage (everything synced at 00:00:00:00!) so you better hope you have a solid workflow going in.

Syncing clips by TC is the best way. Cam generated or added via AUX.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
May 12, 2011 07:49PM
These workarounds are only for projects where there is no synced timecode going to all cameras and audio, an all too familiar situation in DSLR land

This is exactly the type of project I'm dealing with. I've synced up the clips and I'm able to do a multiclip by using the reference file method. However, when I try without creating refrence files, I get 40 angles instead of 4. How do I make a 4 track multicam sequence with this type of project without the reference files?
May 13, 2011 11:17AM
You don't. Every separate clip will get it's own angle. That's how multicam works. You could not have reference files and just use actual rendered clips but you'll be doubling up your media storage requirement.

If the reference file method works for you, why are you not doing that?

Of course the proper way to do a multicam project is to have properly shot footage where everyone rolls and cuts at roughly the same time. The millions of little fragments version that you're working with is referred to in some places as "idiots multicam", where the idiot is the producer/camera op responsible for your situation. When you factor in the bugginess of FCP projects with multicam files, it is sometimes easier to just cut in a timeline with everything stacked and synced and cut out what you don't want or move your chosen shots up to a higher track.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics