Freezing computer stumped Apple

Posted by qeditor 
Freezing computer stumped Apple
May 20, 2011 10:45AM
Recently I had been experiencing hard computer freezes with my 8 core Mac Pro (mid-2008, 8 GB RAM, 10.6.7) - after starting up the system, usually within 10 minutes whether software was running or not, the entire system would lock up. The mouse would not work and Task Manager could not be accessed, requiring a hard reboot. I cloned the main drive, tested the RAM, ran Disk Warrior, replaced the main drive and ran every other test I could think of - no luck. Thankfully I had purchased it with AppleCare, because even after replacing both logic boards, memory risers, et. al. and etc., Apple could not fix the problem. Heck, they couldn't even figure out why it continued to freeze - so they are replacing it with a new 8 core.

I'm happy about the outcome, very pleased with AppleCare and the customer service I received over the last two weeks - and very glad I have multiple systems in my studio so I could continue working while the 8 core was down. Just wanted to share a couple lessons I learned that may help others:

1) I'd rather have AppleCare and not need it, than need AppleCare and not have it. If you can get it, do so, because with this much invested in a workstation, the first time you need it you will be glad you have it.

2) I learned a lot about Disk Warrior, Carbon Copy Cloner and troubleshooting before I took the computer back to Apple - these tools are very valuable and should be in every editors toolkit. This kind of problem is not unheard of in 8-core Mac Pros (2008 ones anyway) and can be the logic board, bad RAM, or the infamous NVidia GEForce 8800 chipsets gone bad. If you do a Google search using the words "8-core Mac Pro" "hard crash" and "freeze" you will see what I mean...there are multiple discussion threads on Apple's site as well regarding this issue.

3) This website is the first one I came to when I was having trouble - it is a fantastic resource. I always check it first, and I encourage all the editors I know to do the same. It's the one I recommended to my students when I taught NLE. Kudos!

Thanks.
Re: Freezing computer stumped Apple
May 20, 2011 12:36PM
smiling smiley

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics