Rumors from an Avid dealer .. have you hear-it too.

Posted by edbeta 
Rumors from an Avid dealer .. have you hear-it too.
May 24, 2011 10:34PM
Talking with a long relation dealer who sell me all my Sony gears by that i mean all my Sony Camcorders and even my first FCP version 1 he tell me the following :
The developement of Apple Pro Apps is close to an end so Avid jump on the gun and make the offer of Media Composer for FCP users at $999 to bring them back.
Probably only a rumor but he tell me a few years back Apple was preparing to swith to Intel and made possible to run Windows on Mac 2 year before Apple tell us.

I do understand this is only rumors an not facts but the silence from Apple dont help us to understand the future and make intelligent decision an fight this rumor.
I just hope it is a fear tactic but as i said above this dealer have make me prediction before and must hope he have not access to hidden infos on the editing world.

PRODUCTION D. GOYETTE
TOURNAGE / MONTAGE VIDÉO CORPORATIF
DISTRIBUTION DVD / BLU-RAY / WEB
[www.productiondgoyette.com]
Re: Rumors from an Avid dealer .. have you hear-it too.
May 25, 2011 12:24AM
That rumor is clearly FUD.
Even if "Pro Apps" were ending that doesn't mean nothing is coming and what we see may be a lot better. The rumor is about as useful as saying FCP7 is "ending." Well yes, it's being replaced by FCPX.
Apple silence is typical Apple whether we like it or not. In fact Apple's "sneak peek" was a bit more open than they had been in the past. Given the response (posts like this) Apple may even find it wiser to remain silent since anything they say seems to be used against them.
May 25, 2011 01:15AM
ed,

Unless you have been under a rock for the last few weeks, Final Cut Pro has been re-written from the ground up and is being released in June...which is not the usual sign that an app is "close to an end". There is no silence from Apple...that is their marketing policy = don't talk about upcoming products.

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

May 25, 2011 02:45AM
For the rumors and speculation, there is the gargantuan FCP x thread. Knock yourself out.

www.strypesinpost.com
May 25, 2011 02:54AM
I think what's being inferred here is that 'if you continue to use Apple apps you will no longer be considered professional' . . . what with them basically saying "FCP? oh you mean imovie what you don't use Avid? i thought you said you were a professional editor?" . . . now, it seems.

The gates for snobbery have been widened, that is all, if you're a truly decent, talented and capable editor you'll be able to produce material no matter what the platform.

Personally given the new features in FCP-X it sounds like it's worth the change.

It also seems however to be a move which helps widen the 'pro and amateur' gap which higher-heads in the industry no doubt have missed

Rip it a new one,
Bluey,
May 25, 2011 05:50AM
what IS true is that you can get Avid MC5.5 for $999 until the end of June, i think.

this offer may well be capitalising on the FUD surrounding the un-seen, from-the-ground-up re-write of FCP,
but whatever their motives, it's a good price.

and it doesn't hurt to have skills on more than one editing platform.

nick
May 25, 2011 09:08AM
<<the silence from Apple dont help us to understand the future>>

Let's hope that your rumor is wrong, but you're very right about that. For a lot of people, FCS is a complete business solution, including the MacPro line hardware to run it on. Certainly over the years they've sold it to us that way, and certainly for my shop it absolutely is. I've got 10 years worth of invoices for software and gear to prove it. Generally speaking though, in any type of business, if you get the impression that your solutions partner is making major changes and won't answer basic questions about what they are, you distance yourself rather quickly and start to re-assess.

I have my own opinion on what FCPX means down the road, but it is pure speculation and there's been more than enough of that. However, what you say about the future is a simple fact of life. Businesses need to know now if the overall FCS/MacPro solution is going to continue or not. I want and hope to be proven totally wrong, but from where I'm sitting at the moment, it really doesn't look or feel that way.

I know, I know, Apple is very secretive and all that stuff. All part of the aura. But judging from the record-breaking extensive posts here and elsewhere, one can't overlook the fact that they've got a pretty serious communications screwup on their hands right now with the pro user community. Maybe they don't care. Fine. But the thing is, Apple has made considerable efforts over the years to be taken seriously by enterprise customers. And that's exactly who the pro user community are, enterprise customers of all shapes and sizes. Don't get why they dog and pony us, and won't just deal with it, already.
May 25, 2011 08:41PM
ClayC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> <>
>
> Let's hope that your rumor is wrong, but you're
> very right about that. For a lot of people, FCS
> is a complete business solution, including the
> MacPro line hardware to run it on. Certainly over
> the years they've sold it to us that way, and
> certainly for my shop it absolutely is. I've got
> 10 years worth of invoices for software and gear
> to prove it. Generally speaking though, in any
> type of business, if you get the impression that
> your solutions partner is making major changes and
> won't answer basic questions about what they are,
> you distance yourself rather quickly and start to
> re-assess.
>
> I have my own opinion on what FCPX means down the
> road, but it is pure speculation and there's been
> more than enough of that. However, what you say
> about the future is a simple fact of life.
> Businesses need to know now if the overall
> FCS/MacPro solution is going to continue or not.
> I want and hope to be proven totally wrong, but
> from where I'm sitting at the moment, it really
> doesn't look or feel that way.
>
> I know, I know, Apple is very secretive and all
> that stuff. All part of the aura. But judging
> from the record-breaking extensive posts here and
> elsewhere, one can't overlook the fact that
> they've got a pretty serious communications
> screwup on their hands right now with the pro user
> community. Maybe they don't care. Fine. But the
> thing is, Apple has made considerable efforts over
> the years to be taken seriously by enterprise
> customers. And that's exactly who the pro user
> community are, enterprise customers of all shapes
> and sizes. Don't get why they dog and pony us,
> and won't just deal with it, already.

ClayC your reply is in someway what i was thinking , if i only a rumors who care ... but how to decide to buy a new Apple System if the infos is incomplete about Apps in the previous suite.
If in a short period of time Apple give any indication of a follow-up will occur even without a specific timeframe for the others Apps many of us will feel less nervous about our future with Apple.
My need are modest DVD / Blu-Ray / Web creation so Apple All-In-One solution where so welcome in my workflow , i dont understand why some reply appear a little rude .. but that life i think.

PRODUCTION D. GOYETTE
TOURNAGE / MONTAGE VIDÉO CORPORATIF
DISTRIBUTION DVD / BLU-RAY / WEB
[www.productiondgoyette.com]
May 27, 2011 12:52AM
Hi!

I just ordered two crossgrades FCP to MC5.5 for 999$ (the equivalent amount in ?).
at the moment it is cheaper to buy a brand new FCS and then crossgrade it to MC5.5 instead of buying MC5.5 directly, because you get good discounts on FCS since FCPX is coming soon.
May 27, 2011 08:03AM
Some of us noticed that when the crossgrade began. Ironically Avid is increasing FCP sales as a result. Now making it cost effective for those who bought both to move back to FCP after they tire of Avid.
May 28, 2011 02:02PM
I am simply waiting for FCP X to be out before I make any assessment. Making an assessment based on speculation is pointless. I have bought the new MBP, (I'm a little miffed that there is no CUDA option), but the rest of the specs look good.

FCP being EOL is completely unfounded because it just got a complete rewrite. I have my reservations on many of the features such as real time RED.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics