dvx100B 24p normal vs advanced interlacing and pulldown question

Posted by tokiori 
dvx100B 24p normal vs advanced interlacing and pulldown question
June 19, 2011 02:06PM
i just signed on to a feature documentary project shot on a dvx100b. from looking at the footage, i believe it was shot both on 24p normal and 24p advanced.

not having dealt with this in at least 4 years due to "everything" being HD and prores 422 (at least in my world), i find myself scratching my head, and reading the FCP and cinema tools manuals.

all footage has been captured, 180 hours of it, and all of it has either one or two out of 5 frames interlaced. (horizontal artifact when subject or camera moves). i presume these are the interlaced frames.

i also believe some footage has duplicate frames (one out of five), but some doesn't have that.

i presume whoever captured the footage did not know what it was shot on, and i believe captured everything with the regular dv ntsc setup, rather than the advanced pull down removal setup.

i think there were different shooters and the director does not know what footage was shot in what way.

i believe all footage on the tape itself somehow has the information on advanced pull down etc embedded on the tape. does captured, digitized footage give me this information as well (i doubt it, but i am just double checking)?

is there any way to take the footage that's been captured and run it all through the advanced pulldown function in cinema tools? or will i have to take each captured tape (ie, the digital file captured from the tape) and study first whether it has one or two interlaced frames, and then accordingly convert it into something else?

or should i recapture each tape, by first doing a brief, few second capture test (ie, capture it with regular dv setttings, and then with advanced pull down removal settings) to see which footage has been shot advanced, and which normal? and then capture each tape accordingly?

what about watching what you do in FCP on a regular computer monitor (cinema display) vs on an NTSC monitor. are the interlaced lines actually there? i remember from film school days that whatever interlacing i sometimes would see on my mac was sometimes (or at all times?) not there when outputting over an NTSC monitor.

in other words, do i even have a problem? a test quicktime of whatever's in the director's timeline is both interlaced and has one duplicate frame per five frames. most delivery will be quicktimes, online, though eventually festivals, and i am not certain how we'll output for that.

the sequences and files are all 29.97.

does the 100B capture 24p in 23.98 and the output 29.97 onto the tape?

any input would be highly appreciated. thank you all for your time and consideration.

michael

www.michaelfreund.net
Re: dvx100B 24p normal vs advanced interlacing and pulldown question
June 20, 2011 04:35PM
>all of it has either one or two out of 5 frames interlaced.

That's a problem... Either shoot 24p or 24pA (better if it's 24pA), and you remove the pulldown on capture for 24pA. For 24p, you can send it through Cinema Tools, or Compressor. Compressor is easier as it detects and removes pulldown automatically. But you need to do this before you start editing.

>does captured, digitized footage give me this information as well (i doubt it, but i am just double
>checking)?

Not that I know of. I'm not sure how timecode is recorded on tape, but that could give you an idea. Unless if they captured without removing pulldown, you can re-capture and remove the pulldown. Going through Compressor will give you a generation loss.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics