Bug/Gothcha: "Add To Find Results" breaks Master/Affiliate links in FCP7.03

Posted by Nick Meyers 
Bug/Gothcha: "Add To Find Results" breaks Master/Affiliate links in FCP7.03
July 05, 2011 08:07AM
here's something i stumbled across (after 2 days of re-doing work and driving myself crazy!)

first a little background:
i was working on a documetary made up from 100s of hours of YouTube videos, not unlike "Life in Day" (except they had 1000s of hours we only had paltry 100s)
while we watched the rushes, we gave each clip a cluster of keywords in a comments column, and a rating in another comments column.

later, i would make up timelines with groups of clips according to the keywords.
simple: search in the browser for all clips with a certain keyword, like "dance", sort by the ratings column, & drag them into a timeline.

sometimes i'd add other keywords to the same timeline, so i might add the "concert" clips to the "dance" timeline.
this is where i came undone

in the browser search window, i would first find all the "dance" clips, then before dragging to the timeline, i would build my collection by doing another search, thies time for the "concert" clips, and using the "add to find results" command.

after a day of this, i realised to my horror that many master affiliate relationships were broken,
and i couldn't match frame back to the browser clip from the timeline.
this is important to me.

i re-did some work, checked the Master/Affiliate links by matching back to the bin,
then i re-did a lot of work,
and again found links broken all over the place.
clips that HAD worked, now didn't work

finally i realised that it was the "Add to Find Results" step that was breaking the clips M/A links.
i verified it in a new test project.

i re-did everything for about the third time.
this time i just did separate searches for the extra keywords.
i wound up with multiple instances of some clips in the same timeline,
but i never had a broken Master / Affiliate link again.

so DONT USE "ADD TO FIND RESULTS" if you value your Master/Affiliate links!

(i know there is a bug report forum, but i see this as more of a notice to other FCP users than just reporting the bug)

all the best,
nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics