re: Mac OS 10.6.6 UPDATE (ProKit 6.0.2)

Posted by eyeseesound 
re: Mac OS 10.6.6 UPDATE (ProKit 6.0.2)
July 07, 2011 05:21PM
Hi there,

ok, since I am always wary of installing software updates and I read the sticky thread about the 10.6.6 & Pro Kit 6.0.2 update causing issues I haven't updated anything in a while, but I'm wondering if I should.

My question is whether there are still problems and if so with what and what is the workaround (I have seen the restoring an older version of pro kit page linked to in the aforementioned thread).

I run FCS3. I am currently on OSX 10.6.4. Scanning for software updates I currently have these available (which appear to be newer than the last time I looked a month or so ago):

Mac OS X Update Combined 10.6.8
Pro Applications Update 2010-02

I guess in some ways i'm not overly concerned (unless that's naive) about the OSX update, although I don't plan on getting Lion so I'm wondering if I shouldn't upgrade the OSX in case some day the upgrades just vanish (who knows, I don't). I am planning on learning and moving over to Premier CS5.5 after X was the final kick in the teeth for me, so I'm also concerned that future updates/upgrades to PPro will need my OSX to be higher than 10.6.4

I would really like the CTR-G gap closer to work properly (the only thing about my reticence that has been driving me nuts) but again because of the aforementioned thread and my 'not fully understanding all that techno-stuff' I haven't upgraded the Pro App Update because of something I read... or think I read.

My other problem is that I am always in the middle of a project as the nature of what I do (not for profits) means that a lot of my jobs take ages to finish, despite my best attempts at nudging clients along.

So, any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'd rather not c0ck it up, or have to spend days sorting out my c0ck up.

Ta.
Re: re: Mac OS 10.6.6 UPDATE (ProKit 6.0.2)
July 07, 2011 07:55PM
If you're on a Mac Pro you can just get a new drive, set that up from scratch and run it with your old systems happily intact and ready for an emergency in the background. I'm like you, always between projects, so that's what I do periodically.

July 07, 2011 10:25PM
Do not install ProKit 6.0.2.
July 08, 2011 05:00AM
Cheers Jude. Sounds like a plan... er, any chance of pointing me (or anyone pointing me) to exactly what you (Jude) means... and how to do it.

Thanks Harry smiling smiley So, to follow up, do I ever get CTR-G to work properly again?

Also, although 6.0.2 is separate from 10.6.8 the detailed info on their site says that it includes all the improvements from 10.6.1 onwards and I believe 10.6.6 bundled in the ProKit 6.0.2 issue in with it.

is this correct? Am I simply to sit on 10.6.4 if I don't want issues with my current set up?

And why don't issues like this one get sorted? It's kind of insane that I have to ask a third party forum whether to 'update' Apple's core software or if it will kill my use of my Mac.

Thanks again both.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics