3:2 pulldown HEADACHE

Posted by totalsanka 
3:2 pulldown HEADACHE
July 09, 2011 07:41PM
Hey All,

This is not particularly an FCP problem, but FCP is involved.

Our project involves source 23.976 material (canon).

We're editing (mostly in avid) and cross converting with an XDCAM deck to 59.94i.

Then reingesting from xdcam into avid and adding some previously shot 29.97 material into the timeline.

Upon export (Quicktime wrapper, dnx codec, 59.94i) the resulting QT file (when played back in quicktime) shows frame blending.

If we import that same quicktime into avid, it looks fine. In FCP or QT it shows this frame blending.

We're doing this conversion at a post house (with 2 different ones, and we're seeing the same issue). They're saying that it's a quicktime player issue. Essentially that quicktime is playing each split field frame back, so that's why we're seeing frame blending.

This makes some sense to me. Wondering if anyone's had similar experiences and if anyone has advice. I can't send jittery frame blended videos to our client. Thanks.
Re: 3:2 pulldown HEADACHE
July 09, 2011 09:23PM
QT 7 or QTX?

July 10, 2011 01:55AM
Good question.

I believe we were viewing in Quicktime X.
July 10, 2011 04:51AM
Yea, QT X tends to deinterlace. You shouldn't see any issues in FCP if your sequence is set up properly.

www.strypesinpost.com
July 11, 2011 12:07PM
We checked it out in Quicktime & and X.

Unfortunately both versions of the player are playing back this way.
July 11, 2011 01:12PM
Would be great if you can export like half a second where the problem is excessive and upload it. It could be that QT is not playing too nicely with DNxHD. Have you tried exporting to ProRes or Uncompressed?

www.strypesinpost.com
July 11, 2011 06:03PM
We just tried uncompressed and we're still seeing the issue. We may try a new conversion of the 23.976 based edit to a progressive format (29.97p) instead.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics