Trouble with ProRes in cinema tools when removing the pulldown (reverse telecine)

Posted by ceviau 
Trouble with ProRes in cinema tools when removing the pulldown (reverse telecine)
July 18, 2011 03:07PM
Does anyone have ever encountered this issue. I have some HD ProRes HQ 422 footage at 29.97i that I remove the pulldown or reverse telecine in cinema tools. Once this done I re-import those 23.98 files inside FCP and notice that I still have an upper field first dominance. I did try working with other codecs (uncompressed 8 bit) and those files were behaving correctly. I only have this issue with HD ProRes footage.

Anyone can help ?

Charles-E.
Re: Trouble with ProRes in cinema tools when removing the pulldown (reverse telecine)
July 18, 2011 07:08PM
Those should be flags. Interpret them as "none" in FCP. Are you still seeing interlacing after you remove the pulldown?

www.strypesinpost.com
My file are not interlaced anymore, the pulldown has been successfully remove.
My problem is the file is still interpreted as upper field in several software like FCP & After Effect, i'm force to import in FCP set the field dominance to none and re-export the file so every software will see it as none. Im working with 1h30 to 2h movies files and it's taking too much time to process every time. Im seeking a way to adjust the metadata of the file or removing the pulldown without import/export only to fix that dominance flag.

thanks

Charles
Re: Trouble with ProRes in cinema tools when removing the pulldown (reverse telecine)
July 19, 2011 09:45AM
I won't worry too much about it. You can interp the field dominance in FCP, or when you bring in the files into AE. I think AE ignores the field dominance settings unless you set it to field render or to deinterlace.

Otherwise, you can do this:

Download Dumpster:

[discussions.apple.com]

Open the file with Dumpster.

To set your file as progressive, go to:
'trak' > 'mdia' > 'minf' > 'stbl' > 'stsd' > 'fiel'
And set
Fields = 1
Details = 0

To set your file to interlaced, set to:
Fields = 0
Details = 1

Personally, what I would do, is to export an xml and do a find and replace and change the field dominance to none. Then the exports will be fine.

www.strypesinpost.com
Dumpster fix the file without recompressing.

It's awesome, u fix my prob.

Thanks for the help
July 19, 2011 10:50AM
Btw, I hope you have a backup of your media files just in case Dumpster screws up. And FCP does not recompress, but it could be much faster at copying Quicktime frames.

www.strypesinpost.com
yeah, indeed.

I was testing with a 30sec clip. We will try with the full movie and check the file in Baton (automatic QC) to confirm that metadata change... but it's looking good in FCP.

I will post the final result.
July 19, 2011 10:59AM
Automated Content Verification or File-based QC Software

[www.interrasystems.com]
July 19, 2011 11:39AM
Thanks, Ceviau. That looks very useful, especially in a file based workflow.

www.strypesinpost.com
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Download Dumpster:
>
> [discussions.apple.com]
> =0&tstart=0
>
> Open the file with Dumpster.
>
> To set your file as progressive, go to:
> 'trak' > 'mdia' > 'minf' > 'stbl' > 'stsd' >
> 'fiel'
> And set
> Fields = 1
> Details = 0
>
> To set your file to interlaced, set to:
> Fields = 0
> Details = 1

QT Edit can also do this:
[www.digitalrebellion.com]

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
The QT Edit seems to be an alternate solution that work great, i just try it out, wont buy it cause Dumpster is free but Digital Rebellion suite included several software that can be very usefull for editor and can be use for several others probleme like those gamma shift, etc...

Worth checkin and Trial'in
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics