oldies, but goodies...

Posted by Frank Meek 
oldies, but goodies...
July 28, 2011 11:48AM
Hi there
In responding to a longtime client about portions of an archived project I completed in 2003, (in FCP 3), I indicated to him that I needed to do some research about retrieving and re-editing pieces of this long-forgotten work. Hence this query to the gurus: I have FCP 3.4 on a G-4 Powerbook that has since been "upgraded" to "Tiger," from the original 10.2.8, (whatever cat that was). I haven't used it for editing in years and its primary function currently is scriptwriting, for which it serves well.
I remember comments some years back about backwards "in-compatibility" issues with some OS upgrades, and with this warning in mind, I kept FCP 3 on it but never ran it in the 10.4 OS. Can I use this version in Tiger and recreate the project, (assuming I can re-link the media)? Or, what are the recommended steps for this?
Normally, I wouldn't worry about this except that in this economy every nickel counts. Thanks.
Best regards,

FE Meek
Re: oldies, but goodies...
July 28, 2011 12:35PM
> I remember comments some years back about backwards "in-compatibility"
> issues with some OS upgrades, and with this warning in mind, I kept FCP 3 on
> it but never ran it in the 10.4 OS

FCP3 was one of the worst releases of FCP I can remember. Only lasted less than a year, if my memory serves me right, before FCP4 replaced it.

I've never seen FCP3 running alongside OS10.4. But as far as I can tell, you're not trying to edit with this system. All you need it to do is open the project successfully one time.

First, what you need to do is backup all available elements properly. Are the elements still available? Captured clips may or may not work anymore. And if the footage came from tape, do you still have the master tapes?

If the clips are still intact or if you have the tapes, and the means (deck, capture card etc.) to recapture, then it's just down to the project file. Back it up first, with a date/time stamp, and keep it in a safe place. Now launch your FCP and see if it will run. If you are able to open your project, the first step I'd do is export an XML of the final editing timeline and the bins. It's basically an insurance policy in case the project file doesn't work the next time.

Even if the project file doesn't open on this computer for whatever reason, that doesn't mean it won't open on another FCP station. FCP3 project files should open fine on at least FCP4 and FCP5 machines. Not sure about FCP6 or FCP7 -- I've never seen them open project files this old -- but theoretically speaking it should work.

Trying to retrieve an editing project eight years later, with no prep work in between to ensure it will work, is a precarious proposition. A bigger problem for you is that FCP7 is now discontinued. And I'm willing to bet FCPX won't have a clue what to do with your FCP3 project file. XML import is still not a guaranteed future feature of FCPX, and as such is not a tried-and-tested approach.

So, if you're serious about making this project available, you need to think about alternate possibilities. But, for a client from eight years ago, I think keeping all editing elements available is bending waaay over backwards.

www.derekmok.com
July 28, 2011 07:49PM
I did manage to move a bunch of projects from FCP 3 to FCP 6 IIRC a few years ago. Mostly they just opened right out of the box fine, reconnected the media (I am pretty fastidious about media organisation though, so might be a lot more problematic if everything is named 'untitled') and off we went. Of course I didn't bother with the render files, just re-rendered with the better engine.

July 30, 2011 12:11AM
i think Frank just wants to run FCP3 on his G4 laptop with OS Tiger

as far as that goes, Frank, have you given it a go?

nick
July 30, 2011 02:04AM
Actually, Nick, that's exactly the point. I have not yet done so...I simply wondered if things would be stable enough in that OS to change a couple of things and print to tape a show for a very good client. Thanks. I suppose I should have been clearer.
Best regards,

FE Meek
July 30, 2011 09:28AM
I don't think nothing irreversible can happen if you back up your project file. What exactly are afraid of?

God Bless,

Douglas Villalba
director/cinematographer/editor
Miami, Florida

[www.DouglasVillalba.info]
[www.youtube.com]
[vimeo.com]
July 30, 2011 12:54PM
Hi there
I guess I'm one of those folks who drives fast on a race track and closer to the speed limit on public roads...meaning, (should there be one here), that I like to know the terrain before I start the engine. I certainly could have opened things up and given it a shot, but I wondered if anyone else could remember having been down this road. I dimly recall some issues with OS 10.4 and FCP 3.4. Thanks.
Best regards,

FE Meek
July 31, 2011 12:03AM
i cant think of anything catastrophic that could happen.
if you are really worried, duplicate some of your media, open FCP3.4 and use the duped media in a new project.
see what happens.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics