Cropping and feathering

Posted by CaseyPetersen 
Cropping and feathering
August 10, 2011 12:46PM
Is there is a way to feather just the bottom edge of a cropped clip without affecting all the other edges? Right now, it feathers all the edges, creating a vignette look on the top/right/left edges. I tried messing with gradients, but that seemed cumbersome and didn't give me the kind of control I want.

Thanks!
Casey Petersen
Re: Cropping and feathering
August 10, 2011 12:51PM
Use the Soft Edges filter. Or, set the Mask Shape so that the horizontal size is much larger than the image (putting the left and right feathering offscreen), Invert it, and then move the mask down, thus using the top feathered edge of the mask for the bottom of the image.

www.derekmok.com
August 10, 2011 01:08PM
Close, but not quite there.

Actually, I'm dealing with a clip that had the bottom half of the picture in focus and the top half a little out of focus, which is the opposite of correct! I wanted to put a sharpen filter on the top half, and put a blur filter on the bottom half...I know it won't be perfect, but it won't be quite so obvious. I duplicated the clip to 2 tracks, blurred the bottom half and was going to sharpen the top half, and also crop the top half with a bit of feathering to blend them together a bit.

The Soft Edges filter gives me the desired amount of feathering when it is at it's default value (not much cropping on the bottom edge), but it won't let me crop to the center of the screen, it just increases the feathering when I change the value of the bottom edge. That's the trouble.

Thanks!
Casey
August 10, 2011 01:20PM
Did you bother to read the rest of my post...?

www.derekmok.com
August 10, 2011 01:29PM
Yep, I also tried the Mask Shape filter, but it wouldn't give me any feathering controls.

However, I just now looked into the same folder as the Mask Shape filter and saw the Mask Feather filter there as well...one step I didn't know about smiling smiley

At any rate...results: PERFECT.

THANKS!!!
Casey
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics