XDCAM HD disks and renaming.

Posted by Andrew Kines 
XDCAM HD disks and renaming.
August 10, 2011 10:03AM
I have a project with almost 45 XDCAM HD disks, mostly the 50GB ones.
Variety of DOPs, none of whom named their clips other than the default C000X.
I can rename the clips in the XDCAM Transfer app, but there are tons of them. Is there a way to bulk rename the clips, before import?
I need a simple naming system so that the sequences and clip names make some sense other than millions of C0001 or TapeName_COO1 etc.
It's not my system that I am working on so I am scrambling to add the basic utilities I have on my own system.
I am thinking a Macro might work to make this easier.
Suggestions?

Log and Transfer only works with the XDCAM EX stuff right? I can't get it to work with the disks. You have to use the XDCAM Transfer app for the disks, as I understand it. Trying to decipher whether or not I have the latest version of plug ins, drivers for the PDW-U1 drive and transfer software is not made any easier by Sony's ridiculous websites and naming conventions.

Thanks.

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Re: XDCAM HD disks and renaming.
August 10, 2011 11:31PM
Are you wanting to rename the clips on the source material? Naming after you import would be simpler, but not as flexible.

Log and Transfer only works with EX stuff, not HD. And I agree, Sony's tools are incredibly hard to figure out what to use, or how to do it. I set up a system a year ago, and everything was working. A few months ago, tried setting up another system, and it took a completely different set of plugins and applications to get it working.
August 11, 2011 09:07AM
I actually inherited the project with all the disks imported. The assistant couldn't figure out how to rename the clips on the disk or even assign proper reel names. There were something like 20 clips all called C0001. ugh! I got all the disks back from storage and set about renaming the imported clips (easy) and then trying to rename the clips on the disks to match them. That was going to be faster than renaming the disk clips and re-importing.

I tried a few solutions to speed up the renaming of the clips on the disks but the best I could do was a "watch me do" workflow in Automator that did 10 at a time. Clunky but saved me tons of keystrokes. I considered digging into the disks on the desktop level but figured it was too fragile to go renaming clips there. Sure was tempting to try though.

I am done now but that was a boring afternoon. Tapes going back to storage, imported clips backed up to bare SATA drives, also in storage. Feels good to have everything line up and matched and labeled properly. Just like life... Aaaaaaha ha ha ha ha ha ha, oh that's rich. hee hee hee.(fade to black over the sounds of soft giggling)

ak
Sleeplings, AWAKE!
Anonymous User
August 18, 2011 07:54PM
Hi all... my first posting here.... I too need direction on name an xdcam hd disc after using it.... Besides naming the clips, I need to name and/or label the disc after using it.... thanks for any input
August 18, 2011 08:14PM
Super Rabbit-
If you can rename the discs and clips before you import them, your life will be much easier. Then you are just renaming the master, and your imported files are guaranteed to match.

If you have already imported the clips, then you just have to go through and match all the clip and disc names.
Anonymous User
August 18, 2011 08:27PM
James... hope I don't sound like a complete idiot, but how does one electronically name the disc? I can't seem to find the procedure in the manual.... thanks
August 18, 2011 08:28PM
You'll have to do it in XDCAM Transfer.
Anonymous User
August 18, 2011 08:31PM
James... thanks.... I will try your suggestion.... until lately I haven't had to name the discs because I usually only used one or two per project.... I will keep you posted.... kindest regards.... Super Rabbit
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics