true 24 fps media (not film or HD) to 23.98 project

Posted by Tom Sanders 
true 24 fps media (not film or HD) to 23.98 project
August 24, 2011 05:50PM
I'm editing an animated project. The animators say their software can only render at 24 fps. My sound house, which uses protools, requires a 23.98 project. What's the cleanest way to reconcile these two parameters. I do not want to transcode if it involves any kind of image processing.
Re: true 24 fps media (not film or HD) to 23.98 project
August 24, 2011 07:35PM
i've never heard of that limitation in ProTools.
i've delivered true 24fps to ProTools in the past.
i'd get a second opinion on that.

most important question is what format are you finishing to.

Cinema Tools can "Conform" quicktime files from one frame-rate to another,
but it changes the playback speed.

if 23.98 is your final format overeall (and not just for your sound house)
then you should conform the files before you edit, i guess.

for the record, i have no experience with 23.98 vs 24 fps as i work in PAL land, so am either true 24 (film) or 25 (tv)

nick
August 25, 2011 02:31AM
For the record:
Cinema Tools does NOT change the playback speed, it changes the FPS for 'intended' speed.
I know it sounds funny, but there is a reason for being anal here...

A quicktime is flagged with two speeds. The speed it was recorded (and most of the time that is the speed intended for playback, unless you shot slomo), and there is a playback speed.

Now changing the playback speed will make the QT play faster in QTplayer, but is ignored in FCP.

Cinematools can change the Recording speed (and indeed you need it for going to 23.976 (note NOT 23.98!!!) to 24 or vice versa)
QTchange can change the Playback speed, but that only is handy for very specific situations.
(I had quite a few users asking about this...)

Bouke
www.videotoolshed.com
August 25, 2011 02:52AM
I did a test, using the conform function in cinema tools to convert a clip from 24 to 23.976. The conversion worked in both QT and in FCP.
August 25, 2011 08:36AM
for the record, ProTools can do 24fps even in its LE incarnation. i know because i have it.

stefan

--
macpro 2x3 ghz dual core intel, 10.6.8, FCS 2
August 27, 2011 04:30PM
You should make your sound designer aware that Cinema Tools doesn't pitch-shift the audio when it conforms, so the pitch will be off slightly.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
August 29, 2011 04:49PM
Jon Chappell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You should make your sound designer aware that
> Cinema Tools doesn't pitch-shift the audio when it
> conforms, so the pitch will be off slightly.

Are you joking? The pitch (frequency) will be 0.1% low. There are almost no humans able to discriminate two successive pitches that similar, much less recognize the two absolutely.

Dennis Couzin
Berlin, Germany
August 29, 2011 07:25PM
Between 24fps to 23.976, the pitch isn't that far off. 25fps to 23.976 is a different matter.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics