Color 1.5 Scopes

Posted by John Johnston 
Color 1.5 Scopes
September 11, 2011 05:47PM
Hey All,

Quick question:

Is the Vetroscope reading the file data or the image from my monitor?

I haven't purchased a proper monitor or gone through the essentials for setting up for color correcting yet. I am gamma correcting an indie piece (at least to hopefully get it into a reasonable ball-park, big disparity between lighting/A/B cams) and it occurred to me that perhaps i can trust the scopes because i know i cannot trust my monitor.

What say ye?

Thanks!
Re: Color 1.5 Scopes
September 11, 2011 06:43PM
Yes, use the scopes. It's monitoring your actual output. Your computer monitors are later in the chain than the scopes, so are not part of the equation.

Of course this is OK for staying legal and doing A/B matches, but the gamma will look quite different when it gets to air. But if it's indi and budget, it's a viable workaround.

September 11, 2011 09:02PM
>perhaps i can trust the scopes because i know i cannot trust my monitor

Have you ever driven a car just by looking at the speedometer and where you are on the GPS map?

>It's monitoring your actual output

I won't go as far as to male that claim, but what you see on the scopes will be very much what you see on the actual scopes if you ever hook up one.

www.strypesinpost.com
September 12, 2011 06:51AM
strypes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Have you ever driven a car just by looking at the
> speedometer and where you are on the GPS map?

That made me laugh. Then I remembered that airline pilots do just that!
September 12, 2011 07:42AM
If you can't trust your monitor, then you're missing half the point. The Scopes tell you if you're legal or not, and give you some great information on the image overall.

But the final look of the image is determined by the artist and the only way the artist can know for sure what the image looks like, is to see the image on a proper monitor. This is why we have Flanders Scientific monitors in ever single edit suite in our shop. They cost more, but when the editor and / or client are in the room looking at the monitors, they know exactly what that image looks like.

Especially for dialing in two cameras that may not look alike. You really need a good reference monitor in order to know for sure if you've got them as close as they can be.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
biscardicreative.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics