rescaling 3:2 in a 3:2 Anamorphic sequence

Posted by Logan's Log In 
rescaling 3:2 in a 3:2 Anamorphic sequence
September 22, 2011 03:35AM
When I have a sequence thats 720x480 Anamorphic and I drag a normal 720x480 clip onto the timeline, the clip appears with columns on either side. Is this because FCP shrinks the image so that the whole image is displayed with the correct aspect ratio? If that's the case, I should be able to rescale the clip so that it spans the entire width of the canvas, which should be 720, without any pixilation because the clip is 720. Is this correct?

Thanks

p.s. Its ok that the top and bottom would be cropped.
Re: rescaling 3:2 in a 3:2 Anamorphic sequence
September 22, 2011 12:09PM
> Is this because FCP shrinks the image so that the whole image is displayed with
> the correct aspect ratio?

No, it's because anamorphic 16:9 footage was meant to be displayed in a horizontally stretched way to fit a wider screen (such as an HD television). When you put a clip that wasn't shot that way into a Sequence intended for that display, FCP will apply a Distort setting so that when the normal clip is stretched, proportions will be restored to how the clip was before the Distort.

> If that's the case, I should be able to rescale the clip so that it spans the entire
> width of the canvas, which should be 720, without any pixilation because the clip
> is 720. Is this correct?

No. A 720x480 3:2 clip does not fill a anamorphic 16:9 DV frame...unless you want the black bars on the sides when the clip is played back on a wide screen. You will have to blow it up around 35 per cent (usually the scale value is 133 per cent) to fill the wider frame. There is quality loss, and of course you lose the top and bottom of the frame (but you can reframe vertically). Anamorphic 16:9 DV and 3:2 DV are not interchangeable. Making one fit the other always involves a blowup.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics