scratch disc settings on internal 2TB imac

Posted by JoeyG 
scratch disc settings on internal 2TB imac
October 20, 2011 03:49PM
We are continuing a project started in FCP 6 and moving to a new iMac with FCP 7 installed.
The iMac configuration is: OS X version 10.7.2; 3.4 GHz intel core i7 processor; 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory with a Mac OS Extended (journaled) 2 TB HD.

We are using 1 TB to iOmega drive to back up the computer which runs Time Machine.

The old external HD (with the FCP 6 version) was connected to this new computer, opened FCP 7 and did some edits and saves without any problems so far.

Our footage comes from different sources: Mini DV; SD video and stills, ( a recipe for problems) Some of the SD footage goes off line, but we got that worked out on FC 6

The question:

Can this internal 2TB drive can be used as the scratch disc? If so, does it need to be partitioned? The IT person does not want to use the iOmega back-up disc as a scratch disc, and since it belongs to the company, we won't be able to take it with us in case changes are made in the future. This computer will be used excessively for this project for the next 2 years, however there will be different editors working on it.

Yes, we plan to back up to our own 1TB drive each evening, but what about the daily workflow?

Thanks in advance for your service,
JG
Re: scratch disc settings on internal 2TB imac-2nd send
October 20, 2011 04:28PM
> Can this internal 2TB drive can be used as the scratch disc?

Yes, but I don't recommend it. You're running your software and OS from the same location. This doubles the amount of wear and tear on your system drive and you'll be twice as likely to have computer problems.

Get external drives. Your project specs are incredibly light; even FireWire 400 drives will do. External drives get cheaper by the day. Don't skimp. Just buy more drives -- if you're a stickler for safety, get a RAID1 or RAID5 setup.

By the way, iomegas are really unreliable. They can refuse to mount for no reason whatsoever. Buy a Promax, OWC, WiebeTech, or CalDigit drive.

www.derekmok.com
Re: scratch disc settings on internal 2TB imac-2nd send
October 20, 2011 05:34PM
Thanks of the quick response!
I understand why not to partition the 2 TB and to back-up on a good ext drive. However, why have such a huge internal drive if it's not to be used, somehow? The IT person, not an editor, was thinking this would be the best type of computer for editors, before we were hired...a well meaning thought.
When it comes time to leave, and take our drives with us, what will be the best way to copy the project files to their int and ext i Omega HDrives? Like I mentioned before, different editors will be working on this project as it evolves during the next two years...
Re: scratch disc settings on internal 2TB imac
October 20, 2011 07:07PM
Two terabytes won't last very long for video. And if that drive fills up, your backups will start to fail. I have 8 terabytes in my Mac Pro, and about 14 terabytes of swappables on the shelf and I buy a new 2tb drive for every new client who looks like being more than a single job.

Space is cheap now, and easy to swap. Leaving yourself headroom on the backup drive is a much better idea.

October 20, 2011 10:37PM
> However, why have such a huge internal drive if it's not to be used, somehow?

Precisely.
In fact, most system drives are 500GB to 1TB.
I've read somewhere that the larger the system drive, the worse your software performance is, the slower your OS (such as bootup time).

Use the system drive for small, uncomplicated, pseudo-expendable files like an MP3 library. Don't use it for heavy lifting like digital video.

www.derekmok.com
October 20, 2011 11:40PM
Contrary to that, I used to assume that drives are faster today, because they have larger capacity, and are denser. But of course, I'm no authority on the subject.

www.strypesinpost.com
Re: scratch disc settings on internal 2TB imac--continuing...
October 21, 2011 02:30PM
Thanks again for the replies and thoughts on this. As we try to get this system in order before continuing, there are still some issues to resolve...

Background:

For the moment, the scratch discs are set to the internal 2 TB drive.
The system is set to back up on the iOmega 1 TB drive using Time Machine.
The project was started on a different computer and saved to a G-TEch 1 TB drive.
We have been able to open, work, save to the 2 TB internal and iOmega back-up.

The issue to resolve:

When trying to open up the project from the iOmega or the Int drive, all files are offline--the project only opens when the original G-Tech drive is connected.

How can we safely move the project and all the related files to the new computer's internal HD and THEN TRANSFER the project to a brand NEW Raid drive AND keep the iOmega for back-up as set by the IT person?

We want to retire the original G-Tech from this project.

We are new to this moving from one system to another, having worked only on small projects with our own system.

Your help will be greatly appreciated!
JG
October 21, 2011 02:42PM
> When trying to open up the project from the iOmega or the Int drive, all files are offline--
> the project only opens when the original G-Tech drive is connected.

File - Reconnect Media.

www.derekmok.com
October 21, 2011 05:49PM
I wish that (reconnect media) was the answer!

This is what we have done:
After working on the project with the original ext HD, we save and make a back up copy of the project and save to iMac int HD and back up iOmega.
Then close project, quite FC and eject and turn off ext drive--the original project HD from the computer we started the project on.

Then we open the project from the saved project in the iMac. It opens but all files are OFFLINE (except sound files).
A dialogue box opens asking to reconnect files.
Select all files, the project from the documents folder where it was last saved and it searches, but does not find or reconnect.

What step did we forget when we first plugged in the original HD to this iMac?
October 21, 2011 06:02PM
> Then we open the project from the saved project in the iMac.

I still don't know what the issue is. You disconnected the original hard drive. That means files are offline unless your replacement drive is exactly the same path (name, folders, structure etc.) as the original.

> it searches, but does not find or reconnect.

Well, if you copied the media to the new location (iomega drive), what happens when you manually navigate to it? If your file management isn't good enough that you know where the files are without doing an automatic system search (which is unreliable, not to mention extremely time-consuming), then you need to rethink your file organization at the OS level.

If all else fails, connection BOTH drives (original G-Tech and the new iomega), open the project with media connected, and force a reconnect.

> Select all files, the project from the documents folder where it was last saved

You don't "Reconnect Media" to where the PROJECT file is. You reconnect to where the CLIPS are.

www.derekmok.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics