Website Creation Advice Needed - hire out or do it myself

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Website Creation Advice Needed - hire out or do it myself
October 30, 2011 09:55AM
If this is too much off topic, administrator can delete.
I have several videos produced inhouse over the years that I would like to market on the Internet. I do not have a website and do not have any experience in the creation of a website. I am struggling with having to decide to have someone set it up for me at a quoted cost of $600.00 or should I get Dreamweaver and do it myself. The site needs to be able to sell the videos using PayPal. (I already have a PayPal account on Ebay) I learned Final Cut Pro totally on my own (with a few tutorial books and dvds), so I think I can do the website myself or am I asking for a big headache... as stated, I have no experience in web design. My research seems to show that Dreamweaver is a good choice.
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.... Kindest regards..... Ron (aka Super Rabbit)
Re: Website Creation Advice Needed - hire out or do it myself
October 30, 2011 01:12PM
I'd say try it yourself and if you don't like the results, go down the paid route.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
Re: Website Creation Advice Needed - hire out or do it myself
October 30, 2011 02:00PM
Hey Ron,

A bit of an honest Reality Check:

If you want to "market" something, DO NOT be cheap and do a half-baked website on your own. People have the illusion they can buy software and that makes them a Designer / Editor / Compositor with no previous experience. It does not. Dreamweaver is a good choice...for Designers that know how to use it.

Someone is willing to charge $600 to do your website? That is either the bargain of the century, they are close friend or family, or they do not know what they are doing and they do not know that they can be charging a lot more. A basic solid DESIGNED website is in the thousands.

That said, anybody can make a blog with a PayPal link. If that's what you want to market your work, go for it. iWeb will make a cute simple website. IMHO though, people will judge your work by the way the website looks even before they watch it. Websites should not be taken for granted. It is a business card.

My 2 cents. Good Luck thumbs down

When life gives you dilemmas...make dilemmanade.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics