System locking up playing media

Posted by K.D. Gulko 
<HTML>I have a Blue and White G3 with running OS 8.6 and FCP 1.2.1 (I know I need to upgrade) and I am trying to finish up a project. I have allocated 180mb to FCP and have plenty of hard drive space. Every time I try to play my short project on the timeline it locks up after the titles. I start hearing noises from my machine and I can't do anything except force quit the program. The same thing happens when I am just trying to play clips that I have imported from my hard drive with Quicktime. I understand this may be a hard drive issue, but it only happens playing media. I have also tried turning off any extension I am not using but it doesn't help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.</HTML>
<HTML>Well first thing to do is run a Utility such as Nortons or TechTool or Disk Warrior to eliminate the possibility of Disk failure. Do that first and get back to us. Also, is your media on your system drive or another drive?

mike</HTML>
<HTML>I ran Tech Tool and First Aid Disk and it came up clean. Right now all my media is stored on a seperate internal IBM modem from the system drive.

K.D.</HTML>
<HTML>Well, if you haven't then trash FCP prefs. Make sure VM is OFF as well as Apple talk. Windows should be at 50% and NOT overlapping. MIXDOWN your audio. Set monitor to thousands of colors istead of millions. Use Mac OS All + whatever extensions you need for your cpature card or video card for 2nd monitor (if you have these)as your extension set. Rebuild desktop. Zap P-ram, trash Finder prefs.
Try these things and lets see. If none of this works then you may indeed have a hardware problem.

good luck

mike</HTML>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics