Disappearing Sequence

Posted by Colin 
Disappearing Sequence
November 09, 2011 11:31PM
Wonder if you can help with a problem I just cant fathom.

I was busy editing a wedding this morning. My autosave is set to save every 10 minutes. At 5am I created a new sequence in my project browser entitled 'service'.
I carried on editing in this sequence for the next 3 hours and then saved and closed my machine down at about 8am.
When I reopened the project the 'service' sequence was nowhere to be found. So I went back into autosave.
Sure enough at 5am my sequence 'service' was there listed in the browser with the start of my edit. This is the time I created the sequence.
But when I check the next autosave at 5.10, the sequence has disappeared. And all the autosaves from then on the sequence is not there. Even though from 5 am I carried on editing the sequence for another 3 hours. All the 10 minute interval autosaves are there, but none have that sequence that I was working on. So my autosave was saving every 10 minutes, but not saving the sequence I was working on. Is there a way I can find this sequence. I have done a find search on the browser with negative results. I have also looked in the other folders on the project page and cant find anything. Anyone ver come across something like this before.

Mac Os 10.6.8 running Final Cut 7.0.3
Re: Disappearing Sequence
November 10, 2011 12:11AM
Never, ever depend on Autosave. This is why.

At the end of every editing session, you should be doing a manual backup of your project file, with date/time stamp. It is much more reliable. Autosave has been known to fail in various colorful ways.

If it's a corruption in the file, there's not much you can do except check to make sure it's not human error: Are you sure you were editing in the Sequence you thought you were? Did you already check every Sequence? Did you open a second project file at any point and leave it open -- thus opening yourself to the possibility that you had accessed a Sequence from the wrong project file? Are you checking the correct Autosave file, for that matter?

Also, always turn off "Open last project on application launch" in User Preferences. Users who depend on this feature have a nasty habit of not checking what it is that opens when they first launch FCP, leading to huge gaps in proper work habits.

www.derekmok.com
November 10, 2011 12:22AM
Gotta admit I've never come across this. If there is an IO or permissions error, FCP will give you an error, then you save as to another volume. But in your case, the save was successful as you had no error messages, also, autosave has been saving frequently (or at least that's my impression). Did you accidentally delete it, or drop it into another bin?

www.strypesinpost.com
November 10, 2011 03:01AM
This is the mystery,I couldn't have accidentally deleted it as I was working on it for the 3 hours while it was saving.

So all those saves were saving but without the sequence I was physically working on.

I did check all my bins to see if I placed it in a wrong bin. I also searched the browser through find. It aint there.
November 10, 2011 03:02AM
Thanks for the reply. Thats the first thing I thought of. I checked every sequence in all my projects. Cant find it anywhere.
I know it on my computer somewhere. The thing is how do you search your computer for a sequence file within FCP. Any ideas?
November 10, 2011 05:00AM
i would look first in your autosave vault.

(actually, first check your FCP System Prefs to make sure you have the autosave vault is really where you think it is)

it could be your sequnce was in a project other than the one you thought you were working in.
so check your Autosaves for ANOTHER project that was saving at the same time as your main project.

check ALL projects in your current Autosave Vault that were being worked on yesterday.

nick
November 11, 2011 03:56AM
Checked all projects in the autosave vault. Nothing there.
My autosaves on this project are all there but without the sequence which I was working on at the time of the autosaves.
November 11, 2011 04:12AM
are you sure you haven't misplaced the sequence in the wrong bin, or something?

in one of your projects to a search in the Browser.
search for Type contains Seq, and find all.

that'l bring up every sequence there is in the project.

nick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics