Do I need to convert?

Posted by marcia 
Do I need to convert?
November 16, 2011 07:26AM
I am working with Canon 5D, and with no convertion, importing it to FCP 7.0.3. I am using a Mac Pro, 2 x 2.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 24GB 1066 MHZ DDR3, Mac Os 10.7.2, an have 4 1T Hard drives.
I always knew that in order to edit HD media it was best to convert to Apple Pro Res 422 codec, and would have no problems.
But, I didn't convert and my media is perfect in the timeline.

Since I am starting a new project now, should I keep on working with my original media from the camera or I really need to convert it?
Thanks,
Marcia
Re: Do I need to convert?
November 16, 2011 07:47AM
We recommend converting it because the more your program grows in size and complexity, the less stable H.264 becomes in FCP. It's not an editing codec. It's designed for acquisition.

Your head won't explode if you continue as you are, but you're prepping for trouble down the line.

November 16, 2011 08:04AM
Thank you Jude, which is best to convert: Compressor or MPEG Streamclip?
November 16, 2011 08:39AM
FCP itself is best,
because you can use Log & Transfer,
and you get the embedded Timecode.

with Compressor or Mpeg Streamclip, you don't get the TC, and every clip starts at zero.

with Log & Transfer, your backed up cards act as "Source Tapes" from where you can recapture your media if you need to.

nick
November 16, 2011 12:55PM
> Your head won't explode if you continue as you are, but you're prepping for trouble down the line.

Beg to differ with Jude on this one. With FCP7, working with the H.264 media straight out of the camera is a huge no-no.

FCP Log and Transfer will add time-of-day timecode to the clips (the camera doesn't write timecode; it time-stamps, which to me is not the same thing, because it's not a true timecode track).

However, be aware that I've had three cases where Log and Transfer would import an incomplete clip with no warning (even when a professional DIT had done the ingest), and no way to spot the flawed clips other than to open the original memory-card volume and compare the duration of every clip. So, after importing every memory-card volume, compare every imported clip with its camera original. It's tedious work, but will save you a massive rescue operation later. Trying to redo the flawed clips after 30 cards have been ingested is a mental nightmare, and any edit you do with the flawed clips cannot be preserved.

If your deadline is tight, you might want to use Compressor instead. Compressor doesn't add time-of-day timecode (all clips will begin at 00:00:00:00) and doesn't embed Reel Name data (big minus), but it will ignore that "incomplete clip" problem I mentioned above.

www.derekmok.com
November 16, 2011 01:20PM

So, after importing every memory-card volume, compare every imported clip with its camera original. It's tedious work, but will save you a massive rescue operation later.

I've done a lot of DIT work and helped Jon develop Digital Rebellion's Auto Transfer Tool in the Pro Media Tools - it is an absolute life saver performing checksums on the copied files and providing a number of transfer and archive options.

Well worth it if you do a lot of card transfers. Certainly with the issues you can get from Cards being corrupt to card readers overheating or just simply badly copied transfers this tool is invaluable.

[www.digitalrebellion.com]

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
November 16, 2011 01:32PM
I'm an advocate that DITs on set should not ingest (convert) the clips. They have enough work (organize, copy, verify and backup camera originals, freeing up memory cards), far more important than saving a little bit of time in editorial. The partially converted clips from the DIT on my last commercial actually cost me time, because I had assumed that any imported lips would be perfect, so I had started doing clip collections before I noticed the error.

Conversion is better suited for an environment with less pressure, like post. You also get a better "wide-angle view" on the media when you don't have producers and ACs screaming at you to move faster. I don't blame the DIT -- I think the producers asked too much of him.

www.derekmok.com
November 16, 2011 02:26PM
True...

...but you also need to feedback if there is an issue before the camera crew leave location/set so image checking should always be part of it.

Conversion to an editing codec perhaps not - but certainly checking the shots.

A DIT checklist should include:

A. DigiMags/Cards are properly recorded (in the correct format) and working correctly.

B. DigiMags/Cards are copied ready for conversion and twice backed-up
Backed-up to two separate locations (separate HDD or SSD)
At least 1 working copy and 1 Disk Image [dmg] backup of card media
[If deleting cards then Backed-up to at least three separate locations possibly including DLT]

C. In focus and (where appropriate) with sound, correct Clapper Information, etc, etc.

Certainly ProRes conversions could be handled as well if you have the time and people-power...

We did on set for the last feature as the director wanted ProRes LT files to play with ASAP so from RED rushes through backup and checking to (offline) conversion was done on set.

The RED cards were backed up in their entirety as DMG to an "archive" drive and copied across with Auto-Transfer to two separate "working" drives as RED digimags and from one set of copies the ProRes LT was batch exported from Redcine X ready for offline.

Auto-transfer takes the headache out of checking the copies are as per the card. So the DIT is left with organisation and basic QC, which if done properly, makes things very simple.

But yes - manually transferring and checking can take a huge amount of time and one screw up means you could have lost key footage.

I guess it depends on your reading of DIT - "Digital Intermediate Technician" or "Digital Imaging Technician".

The latter also has to provide workflow solutions, calibrate on set displays, camera settings and sometimes produce "looks" - LUTs for on set temp grade for the director/dop to see the output form RED/Arri in something other than RAW.

But then the latter often has a "Data Wrangler" on larger budgets to do the transfers and checksum. Whereas the former is often the Data Wranger too!

"DIT" is not clearly defined as a role and anyone who is employing a DIT or who maybe employed as a DIT should get the full job breakdown and make sure they know exactly what the employer expects of them. You may have more to do than simply copying cards!

For instant answers to more than one hundred common FCP questions, check out the LAFCPUG FAQ Wiki here : [www.lafcpug.org]
November 16, 2011 05:03PM
Oh come on, her head won't explode. Maybe bleed a little from all the orifices..

But, just to clarify, I'm not saying it's a good idea to keep going as you have been. I'm saying it's a bad idea, with very low possibility of physical injury.

November 17, 2011 12:36PM
> I'm saying it's a bad idea, with very low possibility of physical injury.

It doesn't happen in every instance, but often enough to make it a no-go: Cuts shift by themselves and can't be restored.

www.derekmok.com
November 17, 2011 04:52PM
lol I mean human physical injury, D.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics