"Error: Out of Memory" message after De-Interlacing

Posted by radam04 
"Error: Out of Memory" message after De-Interlacing
November 16, 2011 06:56PM
I'm trying to export an uncompressed qt file from my FCP 6.0.6, but it's coming out with those horizontal lines that de-interlacing fixes. So, when I try to de-interlace it and then render the sequence or export it, in both cases it comes up with an "Error: Out of Memory" message. It does not do this if I don't de-interlace it-- it will export or render fine. I removed some gigs from the Render Manager, but it still isn't working. If you have any thoughts, I'd really appreciate it.
Re: "Error: Out of Memory" message after De-Interlacing
November 16, 2011 08:54PM
I wanted to add a little to my initial post. I tried to create a new sequence from scratch and drag the clips into it, but it doesn't seem to work the way it did for my last problem (http://www.lafcpug.org/phorum/read.php?1,274019,274019#msg-274019).

When I just created a new sequence and dragged the clips into it, without first altering anything, it would de-interlace and render fine, but the aspect ratio was different. The original sequence is in 1920 x 1080, 29.97 fps, and it's not anamorphic. This new sequence was defaulted at 720 x 480 and was anamorphic. A post-production house created the 1920 x 1080 sequence, and it's definitely the right ratio. So, I don't know what's going on.

When I try to create a new sequence and change the aspect ratio to 1920 x 1080, it will change it to 1620 x 1080 automatically. Also, when I render a file (which I'm able to do successfully in this sequence), it ends up making the video look very pixel-y.

So, yeah, there's just a lot of stuff happening that doesn't quite make sense to me. It's really only the de-interlace filter that seems to be triggering this, but I definitely need to get rid of those horizontal lines so I'm not sure how to get around it.

Thanks a lot for any help you can offer! Please let me know if you need more info to answer this, too.
November 17, 2011 02:38PM
Okay, I think I've figured out the exact issue. I created a new sequence, figured out how to keep it locked to the same specifications (i.e. aspect ratio, frame rate, etc.), and brought the sequence in. I was able to de-interlace and render fine.

And then I noticed that in the Video Processing tab in Settings, there was one difference between the original sequence that the post-production facility made and the new one I created: their's was in "Render 10-bit material in high-precision YUV," while this new sequence was in the default "Render in 8-bit YUV."

So, that seems to be what's causing this "out of memory" error when I try to render or export. So now, in addition to my initial question on how to just make it work using the original, correct settings, my question is: what exactly is the difference between these two render settings? Is the difference that tangible? Could I get away with using the 8-bit setting?

Please help if you think you can, I'm late on a deadline for a distributor because of this snag. Thanks a lot.
November 17, 2011 04:54PM
Yes, 8 bit is fine. Good catch. Oh wait - it's fine as long as the post house you're going out to is fine with it. 10 bit is really about what happens to the program after you're done with it.

November 19, 2011 04:43PM
What do you mean "after your done with it?" Just to clarify.

I figured out a way around the rendering error: I just de-interlaced and rendered each clip individually. But, I still get the same "Error: Out of Memory" message when I try to export an uncompressed QT file. There's even an error when I try to export it, with "Uncompressed 10-bit" settings, through Compressor. But, just like in FCP, when I try "Uncompressed 8-bit" settings in Compressor, I'm able to export successfully.

I'm just going to export it in FCP under the "Render in 8-bit YUV" setting and see if it's satisfactory.
November 20, 2011 04:37AM
I mean if it goes to other professionals after you've done the cut. Grading, sfx, that kind of thing. If the company set up for 10 bit, it could be they need it in 10 bit. If you're the end of the line, 8 bit should be fine.

November 20, 2011 06:34AM
Your final output is probably 8 bits anyway. And yea, what Jude said... If I shot on RED and you give me 8 bits, I won't be too pleasant..

www.strypesinpost.com
November 20, 2011 01:31PM
Gotcha, thanks.

I'm sending the 8-bit version, hopefully that works. Thanks for the suggestions!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics