Non-glossy iMacs?

Posted by Hauffen 
Non-glossy iMacs?
November 27, 2011 09:43AM
Like many here, I'm losing faith on Apple's really showing commitment to pro video editors. I'm not sure if I'll see a much expected MacPro update to replace my ancient Mac tower. In the meantime, I'm reading more and more about the current iMacs as a the likely replacement; but I can't see myself editing on a reflective screen.
Do any of you know of a solution, maybe a third party fix for the glare?
I'll appreciate suggestions.
Alberto
Re: Non-glossy iMacs?
November 27, 2011 10:19AM
Yea, get a screen guard. I'm sure there's one that will fit. I hate cutting in front of a giant iMac, though. Never liked them. I've always liked their pro lines- Mac Pros and MBPs. I don't mind the form of the MB Air, if they can make it more powerful and less back heavy.

www.strypesinpost.com
November 27, 2011 10:47AM
No kidding. I really like editing on the Mac environment, but Apple is definitely losing it, and losing us. What happened to their pioneering efforts on ergonomics on personal computing? What were they thinking when they decided to end the non-glossies?
Glossy screens for gamers, no big deal; they don't care about their well-being, I guess. But for someone who wants a Macbook or iMac for work, maybe for hours on in front of a screen, just ask ophthalmologists and see what they'll tell you.

Thanks, Strypes! I appreciate your suggesting to get a screen guard, but I've read they're not the best solution in the long run.

Alberto
November 27, 2011 01:02PM
The iMac is intended for consumers so it's unsurprising that it doesn't offer a matte screen. The only matte screen Apple offers is an optional extra on the MacBook Pro line.

My software:
Pro Maintenance Tools - Tools to keep Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro X, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro running smoothly and fix problems when they arise
Pro Media Tools - Edit QuickTime chapters and metadata, detect gamma shifts, edit markers, watch renders and more
More tools...
November 28, 2011 09:03PM
i have to tell you. every time im in a restaurant and they have a bunch of glossy screen tvs facing a wall of windows and all i can see on the tvs is the cars in the parking lot. i ask myself. "am i the only one who thinks a glossy screen is a really STUPID IDEA?"

i tried to review footage with a client on my patio last week using my glossy MBPro. all we could see was the big oak tree behind me. i really THOUGHT apple was smarter than this.

NOPE.

apparently the "jersey shore / dancing with the stars" market has more clout with apple than pro designer/editors do.

oh well...
November 28, 2011 09:40PM
Makes me feel not so alone, thanks. I can't understand those who like mirror screens, either.
I miss the days when Apple was still struggling and gave us the (free) option of getting a matte screen when buying their portables; 2008, 15" my last purchase. I've resisted having to pay extra for a new MBP with the screen that I need.
Do you think Apple still listens to serious users? Nah! Steve's gone and gone is the "computers that people can use" mantra. Apple is making enough selling toys.
November 29, 2011 08:10AM
Do you think Apple still listens to serious users? Nah! Steve's gone and gone is the "computers that people can use" mantra. Apple is making enough selling toys.

How do you know it wasn't Steve that implemented all these changes that turned Apple away from the "serious users", or professional? We'll have to wait and see if Apple moves back to some of it's professional base.
November 29, 2011 08:15AM
Absolutely it was Jobs who removed Computer from the Apple name, and Jobs who declared Apple was a mobile devices company. We'll see if Apple moves back to making insanely great computers as well as insanely great phones and pads, neither of which BTW would I call toys, but rather the workhorses of modern technology.

All the best,

Tom
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics