Problem bringing in HDV to FCP 6.5

Posted by Delphinus 
Problem bringing in HDV to FCP 6.5
December 15, 2011 02:49PM
I brought my Sony HDV camcorder to a friend's house who has the same setup as mine (see below), and hooked up my 9-pin HD cable to his computer. Opening FCP, and with the proper settings, my HDV video came into his system just fine. Back at my ranch, he and I used the same settings as on his computer and we cannot get the HDV video to show up in the Capture window. Instead, I continually get "Unable to Initialize Capture Device" warning.
Here are my settings:

Audio/Video Settings (Summary)
Sequence Preset: HDV1080i60
Capture Preset: HDV
Device Control Preset: Sony HDV Firewire
Video Playback: None
Audio Playback: Default

The camcorder window reads HDVout, and I am using a 9-pin to 4-pin in a MacPro Intel and Final Cut Pro 6.5. When I use these presets and open up a new project, the Viewer is in 4:3 mode, while the Canvas is in 16:9 mode. In the Browser, the Frame Rate is 1440x1080 and the Compressor is HDV 1080i60.
The only thing I can think of is that the 9-pin plug on my MacPro is bad. ANy other ideas?
Thanks,
Stan
Re: Problem bringing in HDV to FCP 6.5
December 15, 2011 07:07PM
Do you have a firewire drive or device you could use to test the port?

December 19, 2011 04:50PM
Unfortunately, I do not. One thing came to mind, however. If I set the project for HDV, then open it, would not the Viewer be set in 16:9 as well as the Canvas? In this case, the Viewer opens in a 4:3 mode, while the Canvas opens in 16:9. If this is normal, then you are right ... I will have to check the port.
December 19, 2011 06:34PM
I wouldn't rely on the shape of the viewer as a guide to what the problem is. Borrow someone's firewire drive (or buy one, they're not that expensive) and see how it goes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics