FCP Crashes when I Try to Log and Transfer

Posted by AbcAbcwebd 
FCP Crashes when I Try to Log and Transfer
December 29, 2011 06:39PM
I just got a new iMac and installed a new copy of Final Cut Studio on it. I'm trying to transfer footage from my camera (Cannon Vixia HFM300) to Final Cut Pro via Log and Transfer. When I first tried, the thumbnails came up fine. I realized however that I had the wrong SD card, so I switched it. Now as soon as the Log and Transfer window comes up FCP quits unexpectedly.

I've tried disconnecting the camera and restarting the computer. Log and Transfer comes up fine when the camera's not connected. But when it is, the Log and Transfer window comes up for a second or two only, and then FCP crashes.

I'm not sure what else to try. So any help will be much appreciated!

-AbcAbcwebd
Re: FCP Crashes when I Try to Log and Transfer
December 29, 2011 07:10PM
Did I read the post right? You pulled out an SD card while it was connected to the computer and FCP was working with it.

First of all, don't Log and Transfer directly from a card. Always copy the card to a volume, back it up at least once (preferably twice), and then Log and Transfer from the copies.

Second, never, ever disconnect a device while it's interfacing with the computer and/or FCP. Always eject with the proper command first.

Right now you should try to mount the card with the camera without FCP running. Copy the contents, back them up, eject the camera volume, and then run FCP.

www.derekmok.com
December 30, 2011 12:20PM
Yeah, I'm usually pretty good about ejecting, but evidently not good enough. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

I copied the contents of the disk to a folder on my computer, as instructed. Ejected the camera (properly this time), and then tried Log and Transfer again.

It didn't crash this time, so that progress. Naturally the thumbnails don't come up automatically since it's not a camera, so I clicked on the folder to which the files were copied and got the following error message:

Warning

'Folder Name' contains unsupported media or has an invalid directory structure. Please choose a folder whose directory structure matches supported media.

So am I supposed to format the folder a specific way?

Once again, your advice is greatly appreciated!
December 30, 2011 01:11PM
I came across this article on the Apple website.

[support.apple.com]

I was just copying the .MTS files themselves, but it sounds like I need to copy all the containing folders for FCP to recognize it. I'll try that now....
December 30, 2011 05:05PM
So that's not working....
It won't let me copy the entirety of the chip as one .MTS is causing an error message (perhaps part of the problem to begin with?). Anyway I copied the whole chip (except the one file that won't be copied) peice by peice and put it together in an idetical heirachy to that of the chip.

Then I ejected the camera and tried Log and Transfer again. No luck. I'm still getting the same error message as before....

I've tried going to higher folders and lower folders. It's just not working....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics