Sync Drives in Two Different Locations?

Posted by JoeE 
Sync Drives in Two Different Locations?
January 07, 2012 04:06PM
I'm working on a project and want to cut at the editing room and on location. I can't really carry drives, so I wondering how I might remotely sync two hard drives. They would be initially setup and cloned with Carbon Copy Cloner and then the remote drive would be taken to location. I need to be able to have the location drive update automatically when I add sound effects and other things so I can seamlessly move from one setup to the other with the current project. Any ideas how this can be done?
Re: Sync Drives in Two Different Locations?
January 07, 2012 10:41PM
>" I need to be able to have the location drive update automatically when I add sound effects and other things so I can seamlessly move from one setup to the other with the current project."

Now how would it do that? It can't. If you clone a drive and move it off location...anything you add to the local drive will also need to be sent to the other one. i.e. you'll have to FTP the new footage to that person with that remote drive. Nothing automatic about this...it needs be be done manually, and you need to track this new footage well, so you know what to put on the other drive, and where...so it relinks automatically.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 08, 2012 06:33AM
Media needs to be consolidated in the same location, pretty much. It's possible to e-mail some media files, especially smaller files like sound and still graphics, but if you're talking video, then even 1GB will take hours to upload (not to mention failures and crashes, which will result in you having to resend a file from scratch) and you're asking for a lot of pain.

But if you already have all the media in the beginning, then clone the drives and then send FCP project files back and forth. That is very easy. You'd still have to have a manual tracking system for what's new on each project file. The best approach is to only use what I call "Transport Projects" -- project files created for the specific purpose of moving from place to place, and that are pared down to only the elements that have been changed.

In your case, though, I think you're making a lot of trouble for yourself. Just bring a portable bus-powered drive. Don't tell me you can't carry a drive the size of a wallet.

www.derekmok.com
January 09, 2012 04:59PM
I really thought this technology was available. For instance, according to Data Robotics, I can buy two Drobos and put one at work and one at home and have them sync automatically for offsite backup. I was just thinking that this is something that was common and could be used with media drives. It's not the carrying of the portable drive that is the problem, it's when I or my assistant forget that I've loaded a new graphic or sound effect that causes the frustration.
January 09, 2012 05:05PM
Backing up personal files...like what Drobo offers, or Carbonite.com...is simple because those are small personal files. VIDEO files? Those are big...GBs. Not really doable via the web.

www.shanerosseditor.com

Listen to THE EDIT BAY Podcast on iTunes
[itunes.apple.com]
January 12, 2012 04:35PM
Havent tried the drobo method, but I think you should be able to sync certain media items such as music and stills (as Internet isn't that fast for video), through Rsync and SSH.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics