After Effects to FCP7 Issue

Posted by johnwgray 
After Effects to FCP7 Issue
February 17, 2012 04:38PM
I HAVE A question as to why my titles have begun to look terrible.
> When I load my files into the source window or timeline in FCP, they look bad.
> The typical workflow is to create titles in AE, export them as alpha RGB
> files,
> then import them into FCP. The export finished file. The process has worked
> fine up until recently. I?ve already reinstalled the FCP and AE but it has not
> helped. Please help.
Re: After Effects to FCP7 Issue
February 17, 2012 04:57PM
You haven't told us some crucial information:

1. Did you render?
2. Are you watching on a proper broadcast monitor? On the FCP Canvas? An exported movie file?
3. What Sequence Settings are you using?
4. What settings are you using for the After Effects export?

A reinstall is the wrong way to go. You've got something that's likely to be more basic.

www.derekmok.com
February 17, 2012 08:24PM
Hi Deremok,
To answer your questions;
I have rendered the files. The AE titles open up and play just fine in QT. It is only when I import them in FCP that they look rasterized. The monitor is fine.

I've exported them as many different codecs from AE; apple pro rez, H264, animation, etc., they always look fine in QT but not in any FCP sequence.

I've loaded them in to the FCP using many sequences settings; apple pro rez, various SD settings, H264, you name it, I've tried it.

When the problem first started happening, it was accompanied by another issue. The motion I animated on the images would playback inconsistently. I finally got around this by using a different user. However, this workaround did not help with the titling problem.

Old projects with titles still look fine.

Thanks
February 17, 2012 08:29PM
By the way, Thank You for responding to my question.
February 18, 2012 05:16AM
Are you using colored or highly saturated text with hard edges? That stuff doesn't translate to the 4:2:2 video chroma samples very well. Worse if you are using HDV/XDCAM EX or DV as that has less chroma samples.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 18, 2012 05:17AM
Are you using colored or highly saturated text with hard edges? That stuff doesn't translate to the 4:2:2 video chroma samples very well. Worse if you are using HDV/XDCAM EX or DV as that has less chroma samples.

www.strypesinpost.com
February 18, 2012 08:38AM
Are the resolution of your After Effects projects and your Final Cut sequences closely matched?

Lets say you were a happy user of standard definition video at a raster size of 720x480. Then you switched your workflow to HD using a raster of 1920x1080. If you continued to use old shells from your SD After Effects projects you would get the results you describe.

Can you tell us the raster sizes of your finished animation and your Final Cut project?

-Vance
February 19, 2012 11:01AM
John also wrote-

[I've loaded them in to the FCP using many sequences settings; apple pro rez, various SD settings, H264, you name it, I've tried it. ]

Trash your prefs! Many settings get "sticky" in FCP and sometimes overstay their welcome. This may mean re-establishing some favorite settings, but it's often worth the reset. Find it in your Username- Library-Preferences folder: com.apple.FinalCutPro.plist

Also check out Digital Rebellion's neat utilities for managing prefs.

- Loren

Today's FCP 7 keytip:
Invoke the big TimeCode Viewer with Control -T !

Your Final Cut Studio KeyGuide? Power Pack
with FCP7 KeyGuide --
now available at KeyGuide Central.
www.neotrondesign.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics