Need help exporting DV to DVD beautifully- without Compressor (broken beyond repair)

Posted by spitfire72 
Hi. Having trouble getting a good looking DVD from my FCP file. It's a 7minute re-work of a super low-budget video I shot on DVCam a few years back and edited in FCP. I can't use Compressor to export to m2V as I have a persistent "background process" problem. I tried all the steps long ago and though it fixed it briefly once, it reverting to causing trouble. I gave up. Now, 3 years later, can't find the install discs anyway. I get so little video work I can't justify buying the new FCP. I can of course export using QT Conversion and have Mpeg Streamclip. But I don't want to compress twice! The test DVD I did looks pretty fuzzy especially when played on my computer - looks sorta ok on the TV if I change the TV setting to 640x480. Seems like a ridiculous step to ask viewers to take.
  1. Is there a free or inexpensive alternative to Compressor that I can use to go directly from FCP?
  2. Are my sequence settings causing some of the problem? The sequence is set to 720x480 px with Compressor DVCPRO50-NTSC
  3. How do you make a good looking DVD that plays well on both PC and the TV screen? Especially when coming from DVCam footage?

I'm not a newbie, but an oldie - much worse!
Thank you much for any guidance.

My computer:
MacBook 2Ghz Intel Core Duo
OSX 10.6.8
FCP 5.1.4
Re: Need help exporting DV to DVD beautifully- without Compressor (broken beyond repair)
April 17, 2012 01:03PM
Change sequence to Uncompressed 10 bits, export QT movie, encode and burn with Toast.

Have you tried running software updates for FCP/Compressor/Qmaster/ProApps?

www.strypesinpost.com
You are kind to reply. I followed your advice and did a new export, Uncompressed. It looks great. Trouble is, it's too big (12 G) for Toast to handle in their drag-and-drop compressor. Assuming that's the issue - it says it's missing a codec. Tried updating Compressor and FCPro but to no avail. Seems like all the compressors out there are ripping FROM DVDs, not to DVD. Anyone know of a good free or inexpensive one?
Thank you!
Re: Need help exporting DV to DVD beautifully- without Compressor (broken beyond repair)
April 20, 2012 01:35PM
Use DVD Studio Pro instead. It doesn't need Compressor to handle an Uncompressed SD movie file.

> Seems like all the compressors out there are ripping FROM DVDs, not to DVD.

That's because you don't "rip to" a DVD. You "burn" to a DVD. And most of the "compressors out there" you're referring to are probably low-quality spamware like Aunso*t, PavTu*e and the like. They saturate the field with their phony advertising, spam, and false customer testimonials.

www.derekmok.com
Poor choice of words on my part. Yes, I know rip vs. burn have been searching with the correct terminology. To re-state my original quandry: I have a low budget project already over budget. My Compressor is broken. And I cannot re-install it. I have a 12 Gigabyte QT file that needs to be compressed as high quality as possible so I can burn to DVD and send to the duplicator. I don't trust the spamware sites myself, which is why I'm asking. There are some good souls out there, ie: MPeg Stramclip has been a godsend for my Flip video compression needs. But they don't do M2V. Looking for something reputable to get me out if this jam. Will be able to upgrade eventually, just not for this weensy little job. Thanks in advance.
April 20, 2012 02:04PM
As I suggested before, use DVD Studio Pro. Every version of FCP since FCP5 has had DVD Studio Pro bundled in. And it does not require a file to be pre-compressed to m2v. You don't get much control with quality settings, but you're asking for free and good. No such thing.

www.derekmok.com
Thanks. I have been using DVD StudioPro for a long time. But DVD Studio Pro uses Compressor for encoding and Compressor is not working on my system.
If you really need Compressor to work. Go to the Apple app store and buy and download the newer version of Compressor. It's only 50 bucks. As least you'll be able to compress your video.
April 20, 2012 02:49PM
> But DVD Studio Pro uses Compressor for encoding

No, it doesn't. Put the Uncompressed SD movie file directly into DVD Studio Pro. Works just fine, just not as much control over compression settings.

www.derekmok.com
I didn't realize that. Thanks so much for the help!
April 20, 2012 05:31PM
If DVD Studio Pro doesn't work, you can try bitvice:

[www.innobits.com]

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics