external monitor setting

Posted by jaylloyd 
external monitor setting
April 25, 2012 06:54AM
Hi all,

I've been trying to preview the timeline with an external monitor. I can only get it to work with the 1080i 50 preset, but the monitor seems to be flickering and especially in the highlight area, it's very obvious. I am running FCP7 on Mac Pro running 10.6, using Decklink studio. The monitor is Sony PVM2541, connected via HDMI.
Re: external monitor setting
April 25, 2012 05:14PM
What format (sequence, clips) are you working with?

www.strypesinpost.com
April 25, 2012 06:38PM
And is the monitor calibrated?

April 27, 2012 10:23AM
The format I am working with is 1080p 25fps ProRes LT, both sequence and clips.
No, I don't think the monitor is calibrated. How should it be calibrated by the way?

Thanks
April 27, 2012 09:40PM
Well, if the brightness or contrast is up too high, you'll get nasty flickering in the whites. But it could be your footage as well. If you turn on range check in FCP, are there any range warnings?

Calibration is a bit of an art. If you know what you're doing (I mean, like a television engineer) you can do it pretty much by eye, but there are also machines to do it more accurately. Set up is usually done with Colour bars, which is why we traditionally add colour bars to program heads.

April 28, 2012 01:42AM
What Jude said, although I won't recommend calibrating your monitor by eye. Not the hd lcd monitors, because there are a lot more controls like backlight, RGB bias, that you can't calibrate purely with smpte bars. Not to mention, you need to be seated flush to screen. You need a calibration probe to do it right.

My guess is either illegal highlights or it's the footage.

www.strypesinpost.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics