New DV Deck

Posted by Jtvgirl 
New DV Deck
April 18, 2012 04:36PM
I am currently working on a project which was shot on DVcam and my JVC BR-DV3000U DVcam/miniDV deck has suddenly become unrecognizable by FCP 7. It was working fine last week. I tried new cables, cycling power, and finally resorting to using my Canon GL2 camera as a deck (it works, but bleh) and it's pretty obvious to me something has gone wrong with my firewire port on the JVC.

So...I know it's a dying breed, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a cheap DVcam deck to buy? I do not have $4000 to spend on this. I would prefer in the $1000 and under range?

Much appreciated, and I hope this wasn't posted elsewhere on the forum (although I doubt it; who wants DV decks anymore?).

Intel MacPro
6 GB RAM
Mac OS 10.6.8
FCP 7.0.3
Re: New DV Deck
April 18, 2012 05:07PM
If you're using the Canon GL2, that means you don't need a full-sized DVCam deck, you need Mini-DV. I really don't know where you'd find a DV deck anymore. Tried eBay or Craig's List? Or you can buy a cheap Mini-DV camera and use it as a deck. Also call up camera places and see if they have second-hand equipment that some editors/facilities may have sold off.

www.derekmok.com
April 18, 2012 05:48PM
Thanks for the response. Yes, true, at the moment I am using a mini dv tape. However, I have other tapes that are full sized DV Cam and the nice thing about my JVC deck is it played both, so my GL2 solution is really only temporary.

I thought about ebay or Craig's List...I just don't want to pay $$ for something that might not work or might have many hours of use/abuse.
April 18, 2012 06:03PM
The used or refurbished departments of a reputable seller (eg. B&H Photo Video) should, theoretically speaking, have equipment that's fully tested before you pay for it. Yes, I would try those places before eBay or Craig's List just to have some accountability. Ideally you should look for a used DSR-11, the most versatile DVCam/Mini-DV deck in its price range, but it was $1800 new, so I don't know if you can get it for sub-$1000 even after so many years.

Once you get your hands on a deck, capture those DVCam tapes in your archive and turn them into high-quality movie files for storage. DVCam tapes really are not a good archive format anymore. Even DigiBeta is better because TV stations still have mountains of them.

www.derekmok.com
April 18, 2012 06:12PM
Thanks for the advice, I will take a look at places like B&H in the used or refurbished depts. I am familiar with the DSR-11, having used it on some freelance jobs. If it's a little over $1000 I could probably do it. I just looked at B&H's new decks earlier today, and got sticker shock (especially for a "dying" format).

Yeah, it's a shame, but I have hundreds of DVCam tapes, and it is on my "list" of things to do, to get them onto another format. If I only had more time, LOL.
April 18, 2012 09:24PM
Are you sure it won't cost you more to buy a deck, compared with just paying to get the DV tapes transferred or captured? Even a freelance editor might be able to capture the clips from tape using his/her existing setup. You're basically investing in a piece of equipment that, I suspect, will go into depreciation freefall, while I still have my 2004 DSR-11 in good working condition, yet not doing much work. In the meantime, you still have to invest in updating your archives to a less moribund format.

www.derekmok.com
April 19, 2012 12:14AM
Possibly. It's something to think about anyhow. I guess I will have to get some quotes before I do anything. I don't know if it's possible to fix the firewire on my JVC either but I guess that should be one option as well (unless you have an idea how much it might cost to fix, and if it might be cost prohibitive?).
April 19, 2012 05:18PM
I have a DSR-11 for sale - you can email be at editalchemy@cox.net.
April 30, 2012 04:48PM
I have a dvcam/minidv deck that is in very good condition and very few hours of use I have posted for sale on craigslist.
[losangeles.craigslist.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Google
  Web lafcpug.org

Web Hosting by HermosawaveHermosawave Internet

Recycle computers and electronics